The Firearms Forum banner

For Rosierita, Venison Salami ( Deer and Pork )

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jack404 
#1 · (Edited)
No matter how i try i cant get a decent shelf life off plain venison ( 1 yr max ) when making saliami the pork fat does something to assist the preserving , i have added stuff like instacure but i dont like chemicals , but it did work ( then i fed it to the dog )

and why i add pork into this recipe

this works well for 100% pork too
2 kg Venison
1 kg pork meat (coarsely minced)
1 kg pork fat (coarsely minced)
84-90grams salt (i.e. 28-30 grams salt per kilo of meat)
2 spoons black pepper (crushed)
dried hot chilli flakes to taste
fennel seeds, whole or minced, to taste
paprika to taste
sausage casings* i use salt ones , fresh is best but salt preserved is fine if you have lemons

i get the 4-6 cm Dia ones ( advantage of salted , they are sized)
1-2 lemons

Mix meat, salt, pepper, chilli, fennel seeds, and paprika together and allow to stand for about 3 hours.

Prepare the sausage casings by rinsing them thoroughly so that all the salt that they have been sitting in has been washed away. Rub casings with the lemon and rinse two to three times until intestines are soft.

You will need an course as possible attachment on your mincer for filling the salami. When filling the casings, it is important that they be filled until they are quite firm and that there are no air pockets remaining that could cause them to go mouldy. Prick any air pockets that do exist with a needle.

Once filled, the salami should be hung in an airy garage or a cellar for at least 6 weeks and up to 3 months, depending on where they are hung. (You can make a string casing for larger sausages to assist with hanging.) Indications that the salami are ready are that they will start to shrink and will feel firm to the touch. They can be left hanging beyond 3 months, but will become increasingly drier and harder. Once taken down, salami should be stored in the bottom of your fridge, wrapped in a tea towel. (In some parts of Italy they are sometimes stored in olive oil or dipped in a special wax coating.)

This recipe also makes wonderful sausages – just cut down on the salt.. for sausages it is used for flavouring only, rather than preservation.

The sausages can be used right away, or can be frozen.

cheers

pic's of my mix ( i'm garlic heavy )

the gadget

and some home made venison prosciutto (i've almost got it right , but it dont last like i wish , i need to get it drier ..)

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.