The Firearms Forum banner

For what is may be worth

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  todd51 
#1 · (Edited)
Well the Old Guys went to the range today for some fun shooting. First stop was Bob Evans Restaurant for breakfast but we finally got to the range. A beautiful day with clear skies and a high of 80 degrees.

I took my Ruger 10/22 to which I have recently added a BSA Sweet 22, 6-8x40AO scope, Volquartsen bolt release, mag. release, and recoil buffer. That new mag release is very nice and removes a hassle of getting the mag out. The buffer sure calmed things down a good bit.

Here are some results of my shooting today. Now give the old man a break on those group sizes as I am pretty shaky and with a pulse rate around 85 there is no in between heart beat shooting. But I had a blast any way.

Targets Left to Right, Top to Bottom:

#1 Zeroing and ten shots of Winchester 40gr Super X RN, HV Gp Sz 1 1/16
#2 Winchester Super X 40gr Target RN, SV Gp Sz 3/4
#3 Remington 36gr HP Bulk Pack Gp Sz 1 3/8
#4 Federal 36gr HP Bulk Pack Gp Sz 1 3/4
#5 Federal 40gr Target RN, SV Gp Sz 1 1/4
#6 Blazer 40gr RN Gp Sz 7/8
#7 CCI Min. Mag. 40gr RN, HV Gp Sz 1 1/2
#8 Remington 40gr Target RN, SV Gp Sz 7/8
#9 Remington 36gr Game Load HP, HV Gp Sz 3/4
#10 Federal 40gr RN, HV Gp Sz 7/8

Shooter error reduces the benefit of such a session but not the fun. All targets except #1 were five shot groups.

Another old guy brought a Savage Mod. 93 17 in .17HMR and when I shot that my group sizes were much smaller. Huh, doesn't say much for my 10/22.

All in all a great day and a fun time spent at the range with friends.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yea Piney, always heard people talk about trying different ammo to see which one your rifle likes. I have been saving and picking up a box here and a box there and decided to give it a go today. The rifle seems to like the Standard Velocity ammo but the Blazer and Rem. Game load were pleasant surprises. It doesn't like that Federal Value Pak and of course I have four of those 525 round boxes.

#4 ·
I have not had good luck with those Federal Value Pak 525s either, which is sad because I like to support local companies. Blazers are pretty decent, which surprised me as well. The Winchester gave me good results, which was also a surprise, and no duds.

I'm definitely going to the range on Sunday....

#5 ·
No duds, every thing fired. Two of the Blazers didn't chamber all the way resulting in no firing pin hit but on putting them back in the mag and doing it again all went well. Just wish I could shoot better which would give better results. Most of those fliers are just the old man screwing up.

#9 ·
Thanks for sharing your day @ the range Todd. We'll cut you some slack this time, but now that you've found a brand of ammo that your rifle likes, you should be shoot'n the heck out of the 10x ring. :D

Since I don't get out much, I've gotten to the point where I look forward to your range reports..... :eek: You speak & type well, post great pictures, & are always a pleasant story teller. ;) Keep'em coming!

S*R

#13 ·
That's the problem you young folks have, you have to go to work everyday while the old guys play. The old guys play on the weekend too so give me a shout. Stan was complaining the same song today.

#14 ·
This weekend is too cold, next weekend I'm out of town.......I hope to be able to go again soon enough! Thank you for the future opportunity!

I saw our other neighbor returning Thursday evening...(mowing my lawn)...and he said it was another great day!

I see your burning the midnight oil tonight! I'm signing off here in a moment! Have a good night and and day!

#15 ·
Hey Todd,
That's some good shooting there my friend! And we've had some great weather for it as well.
That is a great looking 10/22 you got there and I like that scope, and bi-pod!
No, you cant hardly beat the .22 shooting, great practice and about the cheapest way to go. As in several hundred rounds and it wont put ya in the poor house!
Great shooting Todd, and thanks for sharing!
I think this year we're gonna have a lot of nice shooting days the way it's been going!

#16 ·
Hey Todd,
I forgot to mention your scope. A BSA sweet 22, thats a good looking scope there and looks to have the adjusting objective?
I'm looking to buy another .22 scope and weighing a few. I'm needing one to go on the SR-22 and have to get one in a black matt finish (to go with the rifle).
I was wondering what your BSA settings are on the objective?

#17 ·
Zane that Sweet 22 is the discontinued model but it was priced less than $50.00 so I went with it. Midway and Natches have been listing the discontinued models lately. The current model has moved the AO adjustments to another turret on the left side opposite the windage turret. But the new model is over $100.00 and for my purposes the front adjustment is not a big deal. The AO has setting from 15 yards to 150 yards and then on to infinity. The scope rings I had on hand weren't tall enough to clear that big lens so I picked up some high ones but they are too high for a good comfortable cheek weld so I will be looking for some rings that are in between. I want just enough to clear that lens.

Want to get a supply of the ammo the rifle has shown a preference for and then see if I can't do better. I am not really satisfied with my shooting the other day but are we ever totally satisfied?

I am still in awe of my friends Savage Model 93-17. That rifle is amazingly accurate and new they only run $269.00 with a scope combo package. The 100 yard groups with that .17 were on par with my 50 yard groups with the 10/22. I may just have to get one of those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.