1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

(Forehand and Wadsworth) chamber space

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Small_bore, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Small_bore

Small_bore New Member

My F&W revolver is dated 86-87 and made to chamber only the .32 S&W (short). Yet the chambers appear to be cut to chamber the .32 S&W long, which seems to be a coincidence as they fit quite well for being designed 10 years after the pistol. I never will fire .32 S&W long out of this, but I wondered about having that extra cylinder space. Why would they design a cylinder to hold the bullet that deep when you could cut off that extra fractions of an inch to save resources and weight? The only reasons I could think of is for added strength and giving the automatic ejector enough length to fully extract the rounds. Are my assumptions correct or is there another reason?
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The ejector is certainly a factor in deciding cylinder length, but I think the main reason was aesthetic. Percussion revolvers with longish cylinders and guns like the SAA sort of established the idea of what a revolver should look like, and a revolver with a very short cylinder (there were some British revolvers with cylinders only long enough for a short cartridge) just looks funny to most folks.

Also, remember that while the .32 S&W Long was not introduced until S&W's Model 1896 Hand Ejector, the .32 Long Colt had been around since c. 1875 and there were .32 rimfire cartridges that had longer cases than the .32 S&W and for which revolvers had been made by F&W and H&A, so cylinder proportions were already established.

Jim
  3. Small_bore

Small_bore New Member

Thanks Jim.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

there was a 32 M&H (aka 32 H&R Long). many of these older 32 have chamber long enough for these early extra length 32's. by the time the 32 S&W Long was introduced most of these other longer 32's (longer than the 32 S&W) were discontinued. H&R may have been one of the last as they did not start offering the 32 S&W Long until 1905.

bill