Forehand and Wadsworth Top Break Revolver Question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Old Wheelgun, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Old Wheelgun

Old Wheelgun New Member

Hello, I just inherited an old Forehand and Wadsworth revolver top break in 32 caliber. It was a V shape mainspring inside and I was wondering if that is a delicate part on that particular gun and was wondering if it would break from cocking the gun and not dry firing. The gun overall is in good shape. About 85-90% percent I think. It seems to me that is has a strong hammer and spring in it right now. I was going to take the spring out to look at it but afraid that it might break since it's not under tension. Is taking that spring out a good or bad idea? The spring looks pretty thick from what I can see with just the grips off the gun. What's the possibility of it breaking? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Bill
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the v shaped leaf hammer springs are amoung the strongest (colt used them on their double action swing out cylinders until just recently. however the Forehand & Wadsworth operated between 1871 and 1890 and the forehand arms company (the successor) operated until 1899. all their handguns were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures only. the working of any v shapped spring will eventually break it especially if it is over 110 years old.

during thier era F&W revolvers were as strong as S&W or any other top break revolver.
    bill