Forehand Arms Co.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Bunta, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Bunta

Bunta New Member

Thank you for your time.

I took it upon myself to clean up my friends really rusted up revolver and came up with a Forehand Arms Co. I've been researching this for a friend of mine who isn't as internet savvy as I to find out any kind of worth.

Some of the rusting and pitting has made some stamps unreadable but I can make out some of it. The top above the drum says:

FOREHAND ARMS CO.
    WORCHESTER. MASS.

DOUBLE ACTION
    (then what I can figure out is the pat: number or something but I can't make it out)

Then on the bottom of the grip I can only make out four numbers "2083" I don't know if there are suppose to be more.

below are pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Bunta

Bunta New Member

3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That revolver was made sometime between 1890 and 1902. I guess any functional gun has some value to someone, but the retail price on one in that condition would be less than $65, although one in pristine condition will bring considerably more.

The problem is that if anything doesn't work, there are no parts available, and no gunsmith will fix it because of liability problems. No gun shop will take it on trade because they can't warrant it for sale. The number is not a true serial number, it is an assembly number that went to a level (usually 9999) then began at 1 again.

An interesting find, and actually they were among the better guns of that general type, but of little dollar value.

Jim
  4. Bunta

Bunta New Member

Thanks again. When I spent a couple hours cleaning it up; I noticed a "few" problems. When I got to the drum and barrel and got to clean metal, I realized I wasn't going to be the one to try it out. my new nickname for this is the "in-hand gernade". the drum free spins when the hammer is forward (not suppose to do this?). The gap is much further than I would like to see.
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Free wheeling ( hammer down ) cylinder was a design factor in the older guns. ( much cheaper to build and colt and S&W had the patents).
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The free spinning cylinder is not as big a problem as one might think. In use, the cylinder will be loaded and the hammer nose/firing pin will be in the primer of the last cartridge fired. So the cylinder won't free spin.

There are two ways to carry* one of those guns, either with the hammer down between rounds, or better with the hammer down on a fired case. The cylinder won't spin and the first method will with a solid frame will normally leave an empty chamber at the loading gate, but that is better than taking a chance on the gun going off if dropped since there is no transfer bar (except on Iver Johnson's, of course) or hammer block.

Those guns usually don't have a rebounding hammer, which only became necessary when swing out cylinders were used.

*FWIW, I do NOT recommend carrying one of those old guns for self defense for several reasons, including the high possibility of parts breakage at a critical moment. "Oops, hold your fire while I order a spring from Numrich" does not work on the street.

Jim
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010