fOREHAND ARMS MODEL 1901 32 DOUBLE ACTION BREAK TOP REVOLVER EXTERNAL HAMMER

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by thunderace, May 22, 2009.

1. thunderace

thunderace New Member

I HAVE A FOREHAND ARMS MODEL 1901 32 CAL. DOUBLE ACTION BREAK TOP REVOLVER.IT IS A 5 SHOT DESIGN AND ON ITS TOP STRAP IT IS ALSO MARKED HOPKINS AND ALLEN.IT MUST BE A REVOLVER MADE IN THE TRANSITIONAL PERIOD BETWEEN THE FOREHAND AND HOPKINS AND ALLEN COMPANY.CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS GUN WAS DESIGNED WITH A SAFETY NOTCH IN THE HAMMER TO KEEP HAMMER OFF PRIMER WHEN AT REST?THIS ONE DOES NOT SEEM TO HAVE ONE, AS I DID EXAMINE THE HAMMER AND ONE ANSWER COULD BE THE GUN I SEE WAS PLATED AND NOTCH WAS PLATED OVER.I WOULD THINK IT WOULD HAVE A SAFETY NOTCH BUT THEY DID SOME ODD THINGS BACK THEN ON SOME OF THE GUNS.THIS REVOLVER DOES HAVE THE SINGLE ACTION SEAR THAT IS MOUNTED IN THE REAR OF TRIGGER GUARD.THE FULL COCK NOTCH IS PRESENT AND DOES WORK.ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THE NEW H&R BOOK BY WM. GOFORTH WILL BE AVAILABLE?HE DID SUCH A FINE JOB ON THE IVER JOHNSON BOOK AND I WANT TO GET THE H&R BOOK ALSO.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

these top break revolver were manufactured between 1901 and 1908. they were not transition pieces but actual forehand arms revolvers made on the forehand tools and machinery that H&A purchased after the H&A fire in feburary of 1899. between february 1899 and 1901 when this model came out H&A marketed Forehand & Wadsworth and Forehand Arms company products some times with the H&A name marked on them but not always. this model should have a safety notch on the hammer as this is what the late production forehand arms co. top breaks had.

the H&R book should be available this summer. visit the publisher web site (see below) to get on the waiting list.

bill