Forehand Hopkins & Allen

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mimaw66, May 30, 2012.

1. mimaw66

mimaw66 New Member

I hope I describe this gun correctly.

My dad has a Forehand Hopkins & Allen hammered side by side double barrel 12 gauge shotgun. Serial # is 15702.

This gun was his grandfather's and has always been in the family. From what I've found is that H&A purchased Forehand in 1901 and they used the Forehand name between 1901 and 1903. So my assumption is the gun was manufactured during that time period. He said this gun was used by the men in every generation of his family with him last shooting it many many years ago.

I'm trying to find out any information about this gun and the possible value.

This gun has great sentimental value for my dad and I'd like to give him any additional information as possible. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, but can't add much to your findings. Forehand and Hopkins & Allen made good utility grade guns, but there are no serial number records. It's a black powder gun with shorter chambers than now standard, and use with current ammo would quickly loosen the lockup and possibly cause greater damage.

There's little collector interest in old standard grade shotguns, and value as a decorator will usually be less than $200.
  3. mimaw66

mimaw66 New Member

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate what you were able to provide.