Forehand Model 1801

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by vivazpta, May 5, 2008.

1. vivazpta

vivazpta New Member

My Great Great Grandfather bought this revolver when he went out west around 1890. I don't know much of the history. My Grandmother kept the gun and finally passed it on to me. I'm very happy to get to keep a piece of family history! However, I don't know a lot about the gun.

Its a double action top break revolver. The Caliber looks to be about .32, or possibly a short .38

On the top of the barrel is written:

--FOREHAND MODEL 1801--
    HOPKINS & ALLENS ARMS CO. NORWICH.CT.U.S.A

On the side of the hand grip is F&W and on the bottom is Serial # 7419

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13666413@N04/2466104957/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13666413@N04/2466105007/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13666413@N04/2466933976/in/photostream/

Anyone know anything about these guns? I'd love to shoot it but I want to make sure i'm going to use the right kind of Ammo. I would hate for it to be one of those "Suicide Specials" and have it blow up in my face!!
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the actual markings should read "forehand model of 1901". this revolver was manufactured by hopkins & allen co. after they purchased the forehand arms co. between 1901 and 1917. 1917 is the year H&A went out of business and marlin took over the H&A factory to manufracture material for WWI.

the 'forehand model of 1901' was offered as a 5 shot 32 S&W (small frame) or a 5 shot 38 S&W (large frame). standard barrel length for small frame is 3 inches and for the large frame 3 1/4 inches. these revolvers were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures only and should not be fired with modern ammo. the low serial number and the F&W grips would indicate this is an early production model using left over parts actually manufactured by forehand arms co. before the H&A take over.
    bill
  3. vivazpta

vivazpta New Member

Thanks! Good to know. Where could I find the correct ammo for it? The gun is still in pretty good shape, it was wrapped up in a dresser drawer for most of its life. I don't know if i'd fire it but it would be neat to have some of the ammo for display with the gun.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Bill specifically told you that the gun is made for BLACK POWDER AMMO ONLY . Black powder loads are no longer made.

IPT
  5. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Actually, I think some company still makes BP loads for the .32 S&W Short and Long, Winchester, I beleive. I thought I saw 'em online, probably from a Midway USA ad, or something.
  6. vivazpta

vivazpta New Member

Actually I believe what he said was black powder cartridge pressures only.
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

And with the rest of the sentence being....................

"and should not be fired with modern ammo."

Black powder has a totally different pressure curve than smokeless powder. Your body, your gun. ;):rolleyes:
    Last edited: May 6, 2008