forehand revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jinxxy, Aug 16, 2012.

1. jinxxy

jinxxy New Member

Hi. I'm having major issues even finding a picture or a record of my revolver's existence let alone it's value. I have an inherited Forehand Arms Co. .38 5 shot revolver. double action. patent date June 2, 1891. It belonged to my late great uncle who was in the military. I've been told this is a military issued weapon, but have no documentation to prove so. In other words, I'm clueless.:confused: Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

It was not a military gun, just an economy grade private firearm. Forehand & Wadswoth became Forehand Arms Co. in 1890 when Wadsworth retired, and was bought by Hopkins & Allen in 1902.

Here's the short barrel version in 1900 Sears catalog:

Attached Files:

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The only thing unusual about your revolver is the long barrel., most have shorter barrels but at that date in time you could order just about any thing you wanted from the factory and they would oblige . There are F&W revolvers that are marked Old Army Model and New Army model ( in .44 Caliber ) but as hrf has posted there is no record of any military ever purchasing any. Someone may have a handle on value and will be good enought to post the information.
  4. jinxxy

jinxxy New Member

thank you both very much.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well, they are worth a bit more than $1.80, even accounting for inflation, but they are not high ticket items. There is a mild collector interest, but with the odd long barrel, that one might bring $250 or a bit more.

Jim