Foreign Aid: Can we afford it/not to give it?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by 45Auto, Feb 17, 2011.

1. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/politics/us-foreign-aid.htm

People have been grumbling that we can't afford to give all of these billions to our friends and allies, such as Isreal. I have been hearing that 3 billion 175million is alot of money, not to mention the 1.5 Billion for Egypt to keep Egypt from attacking Isreal. The grumbling (without proof) is that we don't even give that much money to some of our own states. But, can we afford not to support Isreal. Do we have any other friends in the area?

What do you think? :confused:
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

Is Israel truly a friend? We've caught them spying on us many times.

I've always wondered if we were in dire straights here, just how much of a "friend" Israel would be to us?
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

I am sure that there are countries that we should help out but there are Many countries that take our money and then crap on us. We should rethink on who is our true friends and who are not. I havnt heard word one from our illustrious leaders about helping get the national debt under control by eliminating a whole bunch of foreign aid.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

It is my tax dollars.
    Keep it in THIS country.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I take Ron Paul's view towards foreign aid. It's never been the responsibility of the United States to ensure the survival of any foreign country, nor is it our job to subsidize anybody. I feel we should worry about this country, first and only.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be allies with anybody. You can be friends, but why hand out more money to people that we don't even have?
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Great topic.

The problem with foreign aid (and domestic) is the corruption involved.
    How much have we given to Haiti? What was the outcome?
    How much have we spent on Katrina? What was the outcome?
    How MUCH have we given the UN?

Do I need to go further?
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Some foreign aid is useful and helpful. Some is merely sticky left over from long ago. Some is flushed down the toilet before it reaches the people it is supposed to help. Some comes right back to the US to be deposited in certain politicians', lobbyists' and bureaucrats' accounts.

I think we could stop a tremendous amount of foreign aid by doing in certain countries what we are doing in Irag and Afghanistan. Make them develop their own security forces and stand guard on their own picket line. Then we could bring home our own troops. Thousands of them. Of those thousands, might we get to place even a dozen or so men on our Southern border?

Pops
  8. old 33

old 33 New Member

IMO...foreign aid needs to be drastically cut back by at a minimum 70%...
  9. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

it's all about balance, and choossing where we give out money. If we cut off all foreign aid I'm sure we would have issues in the national security sector. At the same time why are we helping others when we cant help ourselves? I think foreign aid needs to be cut back to include only situations that are critical. These handouts can be cut back even more if we dont give money to nations when there is corruption.

This country helps others, but we need to help less untill we get back on our feet (so that we can help more). IMO
  10. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

sometimes it is to our advantage to give..its part of our christian hertiage to give to the poor and needy..BUT...not till we have gave so much that we JOIN them! yes its past time to cut back drastacally! we need to pay down our debt..if our government cant be finacally responsible, how can they ask the people to be? most people follow the majority lead...the government certinally is a majority!

we need to honor our current oblications but NOT take on any more! if we are forced to protect ourselves overseas, we are not responsible for rebuilding them..most never become allys anyways! so why rebuild them? so they can attack us again?

just my personal opinion.....
  11. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Good points everyone. With tax cuts and budget cuts taking money away from seniors, education, the military, etc. all of our spending must to be justified. But alot of it seems to escape national attention.

For example, in the last 10 years we have given over 27 Billion dollars to Isreal alone. There must be some good reasons for this spending, but no one ever debates it. Our mass media giants never have any articles about these billions. I have heard nothing on NPR, nothing on Fox, not even Rush has ever talked about it.

Sometimes I think we Americans are extremely uniformed.
  12. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Keep on supporting Israel and our true friends, but no more bribes for peace to countries that would just as soon see us sink into the ocean. And yes Israel is a friend.
  13. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

Isreal is a friend of the U.S., and should receive our support in military areas. They have been much more stead-fast as friends than have we.

This 'Foriegn Aid' is a farce. Most of what we send to other countries ens up in the pockets of corrupt officials (some of them here, too). I think Ron Paul is generally a goof-ball, and agree with him rarely. Isolationism didn't work for us from the 30's 'till Pearl Harbor, and we can't stick our heads in the sand and pretend that if we ignore the world trouble will stay away.

We do need to close military bases in Germany and Japan. We need to charge the South Koreans for our services in rendering protection for them. How is it that WE lease bases from South Koreans to protect them from Communist North Korean aggression? I say CHARGE THEM FOR US BEING THERE. They make bundles of cash off of us and yet WE pay them to keep them free? Make 'em pony-up.

I say close the bases, make them pay for our services, or let them pay their own cost of defending their own soil.

Anybody but me remember when every liberal on the planet called the Afghanistan and Iraq wars "George Bush's War For Oil"????? We already have that shadow cast upon American honor by our own elite citizenry, so I say go ahead and make the Kwaitis and the Iraqis pay us back in oil. We already paid the price, so we may as well collect.
  14. ozo

ozo Active Member

There is chatter about this on BBC and CBBC radio. They have at times(yesterday on CBBC) gone into great detail. High points were the Israeli government has drastically changed it's views and is NOT the friend to the US that it was, and the amount of money that we give to Israel isn't so much in cash as it is in weapons.
    One good thing Mubarak did was honor the treaty between Egypt and Israel even though they were not truly allies.
    We are still paying Japan for rebuilding after the bomb was dropped.
  15. whirley

whirley New Member

Easy way to save billions...Just move the U.N. to some third world country in Africa. That will boost their economy, and help ours. We won't have to keep watching all the spies sent by our enemies in the U.N. Think of the parking spaces that will become available when the Diplomatically protected scofflaw foreign owned automobiles are no longer here. Besides since the Islamic Terrorists destroyed the World Trade Center, we need the office space! Then stop paying 25% of U.N. expenses, just pay our 150\th like the rest of these countries. They cry that they're broke, well so are we. Welcome to the poor house!
  16. al45lc

al45lc New Member

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Many aren't perfect, but what is?
    Dump Isreal, and watch what happens to that region. Don't think it will affect us? You really don't want it to happen.
    Isolationism or just not being involved is a time bomb in our lap.
    Like it or not, we're in it for the long haul. Or war.
  17. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

When the Speaker of the House stands up on national television and says. "We're broke!" It's time to halt spending this year, not over a period of a decade as proposed by the big "O". We need to cut into the sacred cows of welfare, medicaid, foreign aid, earmarks and reform social security so that benefits only go to those who have paid into it. This will eliminate the deficit and pay down the National Debt this year, not over the next ten. With these cuts, over the next ten years we would have enough surplus to lower taxes. Fat chance!
  18. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Well Said.
  19. Juker

Juker New Member

A lot of amens and hallelujahs here.

One of the reasons God has continued to bless this nation is because of our alliance with Israel. They are His chosen people, and it's not incumbent upon us to debate or question that. Our "leaders" (cough, gag) have done much to damage that relationship in recent years. Middle East peace talks? None of those scumbag nations want peace with Israel, they want Israel wiped off the map. The great peace we have is knowing that God will never allow Israel to fall - so nations who stand with Israel are definitely on the right side.

I say triple, quadraple our aid to Israel. Note who routinely votes against us in the U.N. and cut off their foreign aid completely. Stand with Israel, the U.K., Australia, and a small circle of others. Make these nations so strong no one would dare attack them, and let the others have at one another for the scraps.

My benevolence in the realm of international politics has dwindled greatly since the first Gulf War.
  20. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

We should give it to them the old fashioned way.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011