forgot to post about brass cache find!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

so yesterday I was cleaning out the garage.. er.. ok.. 1 small corner of it, looking for something and I hit a box that jingled alot. this box was inthe stack of other packed boxes from when the wife and I moved / had this house built back in 99. we lived in the next city north and moved out tot he country to have a farm... basically packed the house in boxes and stacked in the new garage and unpacked as we went.

I while back I discovered a few unpacked boxes and had een looking thru them to find some old books i was wanting to see again. anyway.. back to the story.. so.. I've always been a shooter.. but only just reently become a relaoder.. for some odd reason, i must have been collecting brass at a range one day to clean it up or something... so anyway.. I open the jingling box and find about 8-10 assorted empty cardboard ammo boxes.. plus the plasting and foam or styrofoam shell holder inserts.. then the good stuff..

i found 'handfulls' of assorted 1-fired brass that I shot? well.. at least 13ys ago.. all nicely stored in a dry box all these years.

i sorted it last night and have a pile of 9mm, 380, 45acp, 44mag, 30 carb, 38spland 25acp plus a few 32acp. 9mm, 30carb and 38spl ar e the most plentiful. atleast 50 of each.. the rest are assorted.. the least of which was 25acp.. perhaps only 6 of those..20 or soe each of the rest. ( i notice the bulk of the 9mm brass has crimped and sealed primers.. thus milsurp maybee? )

on rifle brass i found 303 ( whoo whoo!! norma too! ) 6.5-55 ( now what do i have in 6.5? um.. an arisaka and a sweedish rifle maybee... oh wait.. is my carl gustav in 6.5? gotta think on that one. hmm 6.5x55.. any ideas what this chambers in.. much of my stuff is old C&R rifles.. ) um.. plenty of 30-30.. and they would be from my marlin 336.. so I have some once fired brass that fits it's chamber for sure!.. also some 30-06.. which would be from my rem700.. that stuff is likely 15ys old now that I think about it...
    probably 20 each of the rifle brass i mention..

twas a good closet find.... all the cases looked good.. no bent mouths or dings.. no corrosion.. can't wait to clean it all up and deprime and resize and add to my 'collective' 'ready to reload' box i got going.

hmm.. that 6.5x55 has me wondering..... schmidt rueben? dunno.

it's not my mas 36.. that 7.5french (x54 IIRC ) hmm? i hate that not being able to remember stuff anymore.. .. it's why my relaod bench has 300 sticky notes onit.. and a scratch pad.. :)
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Score !!! Isn't it nice when you forget all about something and it comes back to be a great suprise :):):):)
  3. soundguy

i used to shoot alot.. every weekedn.. and never picekd up brass. back then it was.. well seemingly useless to me.

I'm not sure what made me pick it up one day? must have been at some range and felt I needed to police my brass or something.. anyway.. cool find.. 15yr old blast fromt he past.. good free brass.

out of all of it.. I'm MOST happy about the 303 brass. I have only a small lot of it. maybee 10-12 rnds loaded.. and a small sandwhich baggy of 1-fired .. less than 30 total. this find almost DOUBLED my 303 brass..
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Oh boy, that is like Christmas coming a few weeks early. About three or four weeks ago, a guy at work gave me a "jingley" paper bag. It was full of brass - 30.06, 30-30, .45, .357, .38, and 9mm. I had a lot of fun just separating it, there was a total of about 400 pieces.
  5. soundguy

sweet.

as i set here now at home ( got a couple hours before going to work ).. I got the vibro tumbler full with the last of the free stuff i discovered.. and the first batch I did this am, is in the untrasonic cleaner right now.
  6. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

I had a similar find earlier this year. The wife and I moved into our present home in August 2000. I had packed up all my reloading gear at the old house and it sat in boxes in the garage for about two years while I spent a lot of time on the road and didn't have time to shoot let alone reload. Finally I found time to set up my press and started cranking out 9mm and .45 ACP. I retired about a year ago and one of athe projects my wife had for me was to clean out boxes in the attic that had been stored since we moved in. One of the boxes that had made it to the attic was marked reloading stuff. I was happy to find a brand new set of Dillon .38spl/.357 dies, 550B toolhead and powder funnel and a 1000 pieces of Starline 38spl brass. Both were in their original unopened shipping boxes. Best I can recall is I ordered and received them prior to moving and then forgot all about them. Now I no longer have to adjust my dies for .38spl and .357 magnum since I have two sets of dies.
  7. soundguy

hey now.. I hadn't thought about actually having 2 sets of 38/357..
    i got an old lyman 38/357 set now.. it's almost beat but works. i should get another set, and leave the beat one for 357 as I oly load that up for 1 single gun... a cop357 and it never gets fired much at all... however I do have 3 things that eat 38spl.. 2 wheelguns and a leveraction..
  8. soundguy

right before i left for work I set all the drying trays out.

i get to sort brass when I get home tonight.

I got about 1 small bucket of 3006 sorted.. but see there is plenty more.

already got my 222 sorted out...

still got about '2 gallons' left to go thru.

was a wonderfull find. I'm extra happy about the 303.. hard to find that around here...
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Just like Christmas morning hunh? :D

Those long-lost finds wind up costing me money though.
    I hadn't owned a .357Mag for several years now but as I was shuffling stuff from storage into my house I came across my .357 box...a bunch of loaded ammo, brass, bullets, dies, etc...I got the itch again. Not too long after that I went on the hunt for another one. Cost me $500 but at least I'm using that box of supplies again! :)

If you've got a Gustaf or Husquvarna Swedish Mauser, that's what those 6.5x55 belong to.
  10. soundguy

yup. I've bought a 15 $ die set at a gun show that eventually made me find a rifle to fit it. so I surely hear you..

the 15$ die set was too good a deal to pass up. retail / new it was 48$+shipping... :)
  11. soundguy

i do have a carl gustaf
  12. soundguy

another cache find!

while rifleing thru 9 ha.. un intended ) my man cave I found yet another container tat jingled.

item was a 50 cal ammo can chok full of empty brass.. and some 'useless' empty steel x39 casings. again.. has to be about same vintage as last find. circa 15ys.. and mst have been a day at he range where I was the designated floor sweeper, as I notced a few 22lr cases too... overall.. 95% of the stuff int he can is relaodable brass...

quite excited!
  13. The Joker

The Joker Member

While I was at my parents house the other day, looking for something in the garage I stumbled across a cashe as well. I only been reloading for a few months but this was from brass I collected a few years ago. Not sure why I did either but im glad I did. I found maybe 300-400 pieces tho.