form 1 question for supressors

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by dbcooper, Oct 28, 2013.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

If you go for a F4 and pay the tax and get the approval back and you do it as an individual not a F1 trust or corp, can you still build and repair your own?
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. NPGunsmith

NPGunsmith Member

No, You'd have to be a CLIII Manufacturer.
  3. salvageer

salvageer Member

Not sure if I fully understand the question. But let's say you bought a suppressor and now have legal possession of it. I would say you could work on it all you wanted since it belongs to you regardless of how you decided to name it on the form. It is now your property or at least property that is now legally in your possession although there may be issues with modifying it from it's original condition.
  4. NPGunsmith

NPGunsmith Member

I have to correct that ▲ According to the BATFE "A damaged outer tube may be repaired by any Federal firearms licensee qualified to perform gunsmithing or by the registered owner. The repair may not alter the dimensions or caliber of the silencer, except that the length of the outer tube may be reduced, as set forth above. The repair may not be performed if it results in the removal, obliteration, or alteration of the serial number, as this would violate 18 U.S.C. § 922(k). In that case, the silencer may be returned to the registered owner in its original, damaged condition or destroyed. A replacement silencer must be registered and transferred to the registrant of the damaged silencer in the same manner as a new silencer, subject to the registration and transfer procedures of the NFA and GCA."
    Also...
    "Persons other than qualified manufacturers may repair silencers, but replacement parts are “silencers” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) that must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA."
  5. salvageer

salvageer Member

I wonder how batfe officers are trained in inspecting suppressors. I once heard a new f4 holder spout off "well now I can make my own cans and use the serial number off of my store bought one" If he did a professional job building them would batfe or other law enforcement know ? Makes me also wonder how many others have the same thoughts and how many of them follow through.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I think, for that to even have a CHANCE of working, you would have to make the SAME TYPE silencer.

If I were to buy a Silencio Model 2, SN 1234, which is designed for 22 LR, and is 1-inch in diameter, and then build a can 3-inches in diameter to attempt to quiet my 45/70, and mark it as a Silencio Model 2, SN 1234, so that it matches my paperwork, it would have to be an awful dumb ATF guy not to notice that.

And even if you made it the same size and caliber, you still could have problems.

If you put a Smith Model 10, a Colt Police Positive Special, one of them EAA 38s, a Ruger Service Six and an Eibar Smith all down together, there are people that could not pick them apart.

To me, though, they would look like five totally different guns. Not because I'm any "super genius", but because I KNOW what they look like.

So if your "store-bought" can is 10 1/2 inches long, and your "home-made" one is 10 3/4 inches, I might not notice any difference. But someone that KNOWS cans, while he might not know just exactly WHAT is wrong, would look at that and say, "That don't look right."
  7. NPGunsmith

NPGunsmith Member

8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

anyone seen those new cans that are just a backing plate for an oil filter. essentially screw that serialized, registered backing plate with integral BBL nut on it onto an appropriate oil filter, then onto your gun. shoot.. wetx. at the end of the day.. toss the oil filter.
  9. dbcooper

they are nice and handy and only $75 but they ruin your sight picture
    so in my mind just a novelty
  10. soundguy

but for a spray and pray subgun like a mac 10 11 or 12

who cares? :)

it's the ultimate point and click interface.

you are talking about a gun that is about 10" tip to tip collapsed.. I hope I never see someone installing a scope on a mac.. or actually siteing it, other than down the arm or hip fireing it. it's the submachinegun version of a sawd off shotgun.. :)
  11. dbcooper

yeah, mac 10 you're right

I was thinking of hand guns
  12. soundguy

oh a pistol.. ouch.. that'd be horrid.. ;) I was just thinking bullet hose. :) Something you are gonna burn a ton of brass thru.. then unscrew the blown out filter and toss in the trash as you leave the range... :)

I agree.. on a pistol though.. useless for siteing
  13. OutlawTacticalArms

OutlawTacticalArms New Member

Once you shoot through that oil filter, you are now in possession of an illegal suppressor. Probably never get caught, but again, is it worth it, unless it's the EOTWAWKI?!?!?
  14. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

No your not. It's the adapter that is registered not the spin on filter.
  15. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Are you talking about suppressors or silencers?
    They are 2 different things.
    Mike
  16. soundguy

arding to the atf, you are incorrect.

the adapter that screws ontot he gun is the serialized and registered part. you CAN change out the fitler canister... that's why they were designed...

it's called an econo-can from american specialty ammo.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  17. salvageer

salvageer Member

Suppressors and silencers are two different things ?
  18. dbcooper

I'm pretty sure that BATFE considers any device meant to diminish the report of a firearm to be a silencer, supressor, or muffler and fall under NFA
  19. NPGunsmith

NPGunsmith Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor

"A suppressor, sound suppressor or silencer is a device attached to or part of the barrel of a firearm which reduces the amount of noise, and the amount of visible muzzle flash, generated by firing the weapon."
  20. salvageer

salvageer Member

Has Goofy gone goofy ? :) Just joking dude :lmao2: