Formating Cd-rw's......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Oct 9, 2005.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

We have the roxio cd creator 5 on this computer. Until today it has never given me a bit of crap....
    Normally it gets a cdrw ready in 20 minutes...every time.
    Tonight i had a stack of cds to format and it gave me crap half of the time. 3 of the cds i had to manually open the cd tray and take them out after an hour of it continuing to veryify cd..... :mad:
    When i put them back in it claimed it was writing a format structure and it finished up in 2 minutes on those...
    On the ones that did'nt stall out...some took 15 minutes, some 20 and some 30 minutes. Very inconsistant times for preperation ?!!!!

I don't trust these suckers "finished cd's" at all.
    Never has it acted like this before.

Could it be the cd burner drive is worn out ? Or the program is mush ?
    Should i take my Husqvarne chainsaw to it ??? Somebody please say yes !!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated very much.

mike
    gn

ps
    I ****ing hate computers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Try a different brand of CD-RW blanks. Or at least a different package, if it's the same brand you've always used.

If that doesn't do it, give us the make and model of your cd burner and its burn speed. Also give us the brand, speed, and capacity of the blanks you are using.
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I don't know what brand burner it is, but it came with the original Gateway computer we had that got hit by lightning. We have the burner and the hard drive in a new computer which was actually a used server... a Kayak xu800 Hewlett packard....

I've been burning more today without incident. I don't know how long they took as i have been bouncing back and forth from the office to the folks house doing laundry. But they seem ok.

What i am most concerned with is the cd's that had to be taken out manually and when reinserted it finished them up in about 2 minutes. It claimed they needed file structures.....
    I am wondering if they are trustable ? Or if they should be completely rewritten for the whole drag and drop crap and the other features that Roxio sets them up for... ?

I've never erased a disc before. I have no ideo how that is correctly done.

The Cd-Rw's are Memorex High Speed cdrw 12x 700mb 80min... The Cd burner writes at i believe 25x and reads at 50x "i think". I remember looking at it somewhere in the control pannel one time. Its run of the mill crap i guess....

mike
    gn
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Clean the drive. The drive cleaners are $5 to $10 and are well worth it.

Use a can of air to blow out the drive from the open mouth, Hold the can about 6 inches back, so you don't get a tremendous blast, just a strong blow through the device. Then run the cleaner disk through. Run it twice the first time, then once a month after.

Pops
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh...ok.

Do you think the "twice inserted" Cd's need to be reformatted though ?

mike
    gn
  6. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

I use the same burn software as you. I haven't had any trouble with it. But the last blank CD's i bought gave me trouble. It was the same brand ya got. I've had the best luck so far with Wal-marts Durabrand CD-R's.
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Durabrand ? Have'nt seen those.

Did the memorex's cause you problems formatting, or after they were formated ?

mike
    gn
  8. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

It caused problems on both. Had lots that went thru all stages and burnt. But nothing on disk. Like when I'd make a music CD it'd burn, close and show songs to be on disk. But when Played it show blank disk. If I'd use another brand of CD-R's it'd work perfect.
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I will have to check at home tonight, but I think that the Roxio CD Creator 5 had a big problem with their drag and drop feature. I know that when they sent me the upgrade, this feature was cancelled. As soon as they took away part of why I bought the program, I dropped Roxio like a rock. If you want a tried and true CD creator, get NERO. There is a shareware copy on CNET that you can download and try. Much better and never fails.

IPT
  10. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

As I stated above, the Roxio #5 is the bad one.
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh boy......

mike
    gn