forming

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by merc, Nov 29, 2003.

1. merc

merc New Member

Hi guys
    does anyone know where to find info on reforming brass from one caliber to another.
    In particular I would like to make some 8mm x 57JS from .30-06 cases
    form 7,62x 25 brass
    and make some 7,62 nagant

thanks
  2. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Contact the folks at RCBS they have die sets for reforming in different calibers.

What caliber are you hoping to do.

Jim
  3. merc

merc New Member

hi
    I made some 8mm from 30-06 and everything measured the same.
    I also made some 7.62x25 from .223 and they look good.
    But I have a question.....
    the .223 has a rim diameter of only .378 while the 7.62x25 has a diameter of .390
    Will this .006 differance all around be of any significance in the chamber?
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Merc, not in the chamber, but it might with extraction. Need to know the tolerance on the dimension.
  5. merc

merc New Member

here's my next experiment...
    I cut down some .223 brass to about .900 nand reformed it in a .30 luger die.
    Then trimmed it to .845.
    Super close but I am not sure it will work.
    The .30 luger is a parabelum round (meaning it tapers) and the rim does not have the relief taper that that the .223 (and 7.62x25) have.
    Any thoughts????
  6. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Hi merc.

If I got this right, you've down sized the .223 to a .30 luger cartridge...if this chambers OK I think you will have done what I did with the .308 rifle brass down sized to .44 APC caliber which sort of put it in the magnum class.

The .44 apc was fired in the Colt/Clones .45 acp pistols...only.

But here I would caution you as to what firearm you would test shoot this .30 cal. converted brass in.

What are your plans to test fire it in. I would not recomend a Luger pistol with its toggle linkage system.

If you can find a Browning blow-back design pistol in this caliber that might work out OK.

Be careful mein friend, load softly and work up watching for pressure signs of too flattend primers and brass stretching.

Gunguy
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

GG,
    The 30 mauser is a bottle neck pistol cartridge. I am probably mistaken, but I think this is what Merc is referring to. Not easy to make. I tried once and ended up crushing a lot of brass.

Merc, be careful of neck thickness. I have a luger in 30 mauser. Winchester still makes this cartridge. However, it is expensive. I think I paid $35 a box of 50. Starline makes this brass and is $66 per 500. Not worth trying to make them.

Here is some more info:

30 Mauser Case Forming
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
  8. merc

merc New Member

resizing brass

EXACTLY BOYS
    The .3 parabelum or .30 luger is a necked down light duty pistol cartridge.
    In appearance only it resembles the 7.62 x 25
    They are both .310 diameter bullets with a .390 base
    The big differance is the length --The .30 luger is only .845 long.
    I think I will stay in research and development stage and not try any test firing until after the 1st.
    I want to find as much info on these conversions 1st, so I can go into test fire mode with confidence.
    Thanks for the caution on the thickness. One more aspect to check before continuing.
    After all ---safety first.
    Cost of the "real" cases is really not the issue though.
    Even if I don't get to the point where I can fire anything I hope to learn alot about reloading and ammo manufacture.
    I am learning everyday.
  9. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Yes, Rick.

I once owned back in the late 50s an American Eagle Luger in that caliber, but it was a beater I paid $25 for it. Probably still be worth a couple of thousand today. It had smooth lite colored walnut panels that weren't checkered...had a rifle butt stock attachment...but no butt stock.

I agree, it isn't worth the agrivation making such brass unless he's just experimenting...lot safer to buy factory stuff.

But if he's careful he could be alright with the concept, though one would be walking on new ground as to how much powder to put into such a piece of brass. The thicker brass web on the bottom rim of the cartridge would make for smaller amount of powder and pressures could climb out of sight in fast order because of that factor.

Jim

:eek:
  10. merc

merc New Member

oops--
    started a new thread by mistake.
    I hit the wrong button.
    next thread titled resizing brass.
    I hope I don't reload like that :( :eek:

EDIT: Merged your 2 threads into one - tuckerd1
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

check out "The Handloader's Guide to Carteidge Conversions" by John J. Donelly; He's done a wealth of research, saving a lot of time for all of us!
  12. Ross95966

Ross95966 New Member

Parabellum

We used to be told that Julius C├Žsar recommended that "Si vis pacem para bellum" - if you would see peace prepare for war.
    "Parabellum" was used by the factory in their catalogues as the product code (not secret) to expedite cable orders. Ten letter words are less liable to be garbled in transmission than numbers or random letters.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross
  13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Ross95966, Welcome to the forum. Greeting from an escaped ex-californian (not native.)

Pops
  14. stash247

stash247 New Member

Hey, Pops, what part of the pit did you escape from? I formerly lived in Inglewood (Like west Watts), myself.