Forster Co-Ax Issues?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gearheadpyro, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

I'm graduating from a Lee Breeck Lock press. I went ahead and bit the bullet on a Forster Co-Ax last week and am currently waiting on the UPS guy to bring me my present. I was just wondering if anyone on here has had any issues with it. Anyone have any tips or advice on getting setup or running?

Like I said, I haven't got it yet. I'm just trying to make sure everything goes smoothly.

I am curious as to how to prime on this press. Will my Lee Auto Prime 2 (die) work on it or is the presses priming system pretty good?
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

In my view the priming operation is weakest design feature of the Co-Ax press and only because it is a bit cumbersome working the cases an primer around the linkage. It primes the cases just fine but it is awkward to use. I am not familiar with your auto prime die but the Co-Ax uses the RCBS type shell holder. I have used one for years but I have other presses as well doing most of my hunting rifle loads on the Co-Ax. I have a Dillon 550 B and Square deal for pistol loads. What is really slick about the Co-Ax is changing dies and no need for different shell holders changing calibers for sizing or setting the bullet.

The only pointers that I can think of at the moment is to keep some extra springs for the shell holder and don't force the die against it keeping in mind that it is mechanical and that if you bend the plates you will need new ones. You will have to adjust the shell holder with that little pointed screw in piece from underneath the press but there is a slot in it for a screw driver if you look closely at it. For the used primers I just cut a hole in the lid of a jar and ran the primer drop tube through it by removing the tube and pushing through the hole I made in the lid. The tube just screws in and out and the flared end will hold the lid provided you don't make the hole too big.

I hope I was of some help.

Ron
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  3. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

The co-ax can use rcbs or other brand conventional shell holders, if you purchase the optional adapter. Otherwise it uses their shell holding jaws as explained above.

The auto-prime II will not work with the co-ax because the handle yoke will not clear the primer tray if you position it in front, and the priming tool & gide rods will interfere with it if you position the tray to the rear.

The co-ax comes with a metal tube and catch bottle for the spent primers and debris.

Andy
  4. MisterEd

MisterEd Member

I recently acquired an older Bonanza Co-Ax press that took a little work to get back in operating condition but after using it I wish I would have known about it 35 + years ago when I bought my first RCBS Rockchucker kit. The Co-Ax is much faster (as single stage goes) and as long as you use a 2nd party priming system it works well. Keep the mechanical shell holder clean and dry and you should not have any problems. Adjust the die to JUST make slight contact with the base of the shell holder and you should be set just right.
  5. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

Got the press today and got it all set up. Everything is working smoothly.

It surprised me how small it is. It looked a lot bigger in the pictures.

It did take me a couple minutes to get the hang of setting my dies up, but no biggy there.

Overall it looks like a very fine addition to the tool collection. Thanks to everyone for the help.