Forster outside neck turning .308Win

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bmg50doorgunner, Apr 1, 2011.

1. bmg50doorgunner

bmg50doorgunner New Member

I have a batch of .308Win brass that was on its 3rd reload. I started to notice some build-up around the necks. I have 1yr experience reloading, but I'm new to outside neck turning. I've properly set up a Forster Original outside neck turner (lathe).

I'm already within SAAMI specs (less than 0.343" outside diameter for case mouth). My case mouth wall thickness measures 0.014" on average. I have turned several down to 0.012" exectly. They look pretty, and feed nice, but how do I know if the bullet tension will be adequate?

Questions:
    1) How much do I remove? Just enough to even out the high spots?
    2) How thin is too thin?

Would like to hear from outside neck turners!!
    Thanks,
    DF in Colorado

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. bmg50doorgunner

bmg50doorgunner New Member

3. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I have the exact same Forster set up that you do. I have been using it for years and I usually turn the necks on rifle brass to get them round and take down the high spots. I have a Remington PSS and wanted to see if it made any difference in accuracy. I do not have any specs as far as wall thickness goes for .308 but I have never had a problem with tension holding the bullets in place. Personly I do not take any more off than is necessary to get the high spots down and no more. I do not have problems with chambering and no problems with tension.