1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Forster outside neck turning .308Win

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bmg50doorgunner, Apr 1, 2011.

1. bmg50doorgunner

bmg50doorgunner New Member

I have a batch of .308Win brass that was on its 3rd reload. I started to notice some build-up around the necks. I have 1yr experience reloading, but I'm new to outside neck turning. I've properly set up a Forster Original outside neck turner (lathe).

I'm already within SAAMI specs (less than 0.343" outside diameter for case mouth). My case mouth wall thickness measures 0.014" on average. I have turned several down to 0.012" exectly. They look pretty, and feed nice, but how do I know if the bullet tension will be adequate?

Questions:
    1) How much do I remove? Just enough to even out the high spots?
    2) How thin is too thin?

Would like to hear from outside neck turners!!
    Thanks,
    DF in Colorado

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. bmg50doorgunner

bmg50doorgunner New Member

3. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I have the exact same Forster set up that you do. I have been using it for years and I usually turn the necks on rifle brass to get them round and take down the high spots. I have a Remington PSS and wanted to see if it made any difference in accuracy. I do not have any specs as far as wall thickness goes for .308 but I have never had a problem with tension holding the bullets in place. Personly I do not take any more off than is necessary to get the high spots down and no more. I do not have problems with chambering and no problems with tension.