Fort Dix gets name change.

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by artabr, Sep 30, 2009.

1. artabr

artabr New Member

You and I all know that several of us forum members have our minds in the gutter, myself included. :eek: :D

I heard this story today and had to laugh.
    Many in the military are probably thankful today that the Navy sees fit to name Naval Air Stations using place names such as "Lakehurst" rather than people names such as "Smith" or "Jones".

The story below illustrates my point. :D

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/...Dix gets a new name as military consolidates

Fort Dix gets a new name as military consolidates
    September 30, 2009

FORT DIX, N.J. (AP) — A storied military installation in New Jersey where Elvis Presley slept and thousands of recruits grumbled is getting a new name.

Fort Dix will join neighboring McGuire Air Force Base and Lakehurst Naval Air Station Thursday to become the nation's first three-service combined base. Its new name will be Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst.

Combining the bases in the middle of New Jersey was a way to keep them open after the Defense Department's last round of base closures and realignments.

The idea is to share more services to save costs.

It also means a name change for Dix. The post has been a major wartime mobilization and demobilization center since World War I.

More than 77,000 troops headed for Iraq and Afghanistan since 2001 have passed through there.

Art
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I may be wrong but I don't believe this will be the first multi service base in the country. There is a joint services base I'm aware of in Ft. Worth, Tx. Maybe the difference is that the one including Ft Dix will be fully operational homes to active duty units. The one in ft. Worth may be just for reservists. maybe somebody can shed some light on this.