Forum Changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shooter45, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

We have just entered our 9th year here at TFF. It has been an adventure and a struggle all at the same time. Our Staff and Moderators have done an excellent job in keeping things in line but I have some problems with the direction TFF is heading. Problems such as posts staying on topic, forum drift as it is called. Having to move posts into the proper forums. This usually takes about 5 hours a week. These posts just don't move by themselves. Leaving hints don't work.

We have tried to maintain a home away from home for our members but it doesn't seem to be working. We have tried to maintain a family atmosphere at TFF but I don't know where that went.

So, General Discussion, as you know it , will be going away soon. It seems to have become a catch-all-forum that creates too much work to be enjoyable anymore.

We will be making more changes in the coming months to make TFF a better place to gain valuable info and to get back to our original vision we had nine years ago.
  2. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Happy birthday TFF! A big thanks to the Mods for putting up w/ us, & for taking the time to make this place a 'home away from home'.! ;)

It's a bit of a bummer that the General forum is going away...:(... I guess it's for the best.

SR
  3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Thanks for the update, Shooter. I can only speak for myself, but I very much appreciate all of the work you and the other admins do to maintain this place. It has been a place where I've learned and grown much, and made many friends.

I've noticed the change in atmosphere as well, and seem to be spending less and less time here. Hopefully we can get back on track.
  4. red14

red14 Active Member

I agree with the above paragraph.

But, I disagree that General Discussion should 'go'. It is where many of those 'friends' go to catch up with each other. I would bet that there are 20 other 'Places' on this forum that, put together, have less conversation than General Discussion.

This is ya'll's forum, you can obviously do what you want. BUT, I fear many of the present forum members will not like this change and leave. I think the reason this forum is so good, is because of the freedom of posting a wide spectrum of choices.

In a another light, this change is a form of censureship.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, my 2 cents. Its your forum and your time so I cant argue any of it. I hate to see it go, but again, I dont have the burden of keeping things straight. I wish there was a better way. But if there isnt, I wont be one of them that talks bad or gossips or leaves. I wont join in any conversation that goes in that direction. Once you guys make the decision, I will be behind it. Like it or not.
  6. ARB

ARB New Member

I agree in some respects. I'm not sure it will be considered "The TFF family" anymore. As, others have stated, this is your baby, and you all can do what you want. It was a nice place to visit while taking a break from the Politically Incorrect forum. And, as my fundage for ammo has drastically decreased, it was nice to stay in touch and chat. It was good while it lasted, and it will probably be better for my eyes in the long run. I'm sure it will make my wife happier at least.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Read closely the " AS YOU KNOW IT " part. Yes, things will change but will not be the way they are today. Look back about 400 pages in General Discussion. I'll bet you will see a difference.
  8. red14

red14 Active Member

I read that, but not sure what you mean. I do appreciate your responce. Can you be a shade more specific?
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I think part of the problem is some new people not reading all the forum tags and posting appropriately. I think this weekend alone there were 3 technical questions in it. I don't know how you can control that but hey, its your baby and your time. I enjoy every aspect of it. General discussions seems to be more of a vent now than just light hearted postings.
  10. red14

red14 Active Member

That makes sense. But, it is hard to combat ignorance. I have been affected myself, on occasions too numerous to mention.:D
  11. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

As already stated, It is your baby. I do however believe that the General Discussion forum served as a great place to interact with people of similar mindsets on a variety of issues that we fill are important.

I think taking it away is a bad choice personally, but then its not my website. Just my .02
  12. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

First of all: TFF is your and you can do all what you desire and/or want. If you want you can change, if you want you can close it for ever. it's your.
    Said that, inside the TFF I found much about what before, during and after shooting; about how to take care of our fireguns; a lot of advices about which gun is "better" than another one; about hunting. Down this long walk inside TFF I met also many nice people who are able to have fun, who like to talk about everything completely free. FREE. The TFF is a very nice place where meet people with common hobbies "having a bier" together. To cut short, The half century lived on this world teached me the changes, often, are not like the expectations. Be careful, my friends. Don't destroy such a nice place.
    Many thanks for the attention given.

PS
    I'm very sorry for my "slang".
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im confused..... Does this explain why my chess thread got deleted???
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

no need to apologise blackcat, I can hear the voice of a real italian pizza chef while reading your post. You type the way you talk and its cool;)

OOOOPS!!! sorry bosses, I drifted the thread:rolleyes:
  15. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I am at a loss to understand the definition of 'thread drift' in the General Discussion forum which is typically meant for just BSing... pretty much anywhere. :confused: My prediction is that without a General Discussion forum you'll start seeing General topics show up in any of the other forums. That practice will lead to additional policing and believe me, it will be more difficult to control. Instead of one spot, you'll have many to police.

Shooter, I appreciate what you've done with the forum but I'll respectfully say that I think you're going to cause more work for yourself and diminish the breadth of members to the site. The General Discussion forum is typically what gives a site 'character'. That's been the case for every forum I've ever visited (at least, to me). Another idea to alleviate the problem of strays wandering in to cause trouble may be to make the strictly non-firearms related forums unsearchable through Google. Make them so that you must login to view them.

That quality of this General Discussion forum is far and away better than most other sites. Sure there are problems but you're still having more quality posts by higher quality members than most sites. Now, I won't go into what that says about the rest of the world... :D

I believe you're experiencing the cost of success. As more people get on the internet, not all of them have the skills to understand how things work. They post in the wrong forums. They don't know how to search for their posts. Sheer statistics prove that as more of these folks get on the net, you'll have trouble managing posts. Now, I'm not saying that this is a bad thing. More people brings more discussion and a greater opportunity for knowledge sharing. Eventually, they learn where to post. So, you've grown, the internet has grown and now it's harder. I get that... You will be hard pressed to keep the forum perfectly in line as the internet population grows and your site grows due to popularity. There's a percentage of things that will get through that probably shouldn't. No site is perfectly manicured and probably cannot be. It's the internet... Love it or hate it...

With that said, I hope you won't take offense to my comments. I mean them only in the most constructive way.