1. Prodrifter

Prodrifter New Member

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any information on Foss shotguns manufactured in Boston, MA? The paticular gun in question has damascus barrels and is a hammer gun. Looks to be in nice shape. It is a 12 guage. I can post pictures down the road if necessary. I've done a google search with no results. Looking for any history of the company and value. Appreciate the help.

Thanks,
    Craig
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Vorisek's "Shotgun Markings 1865-1940" lists a Foss Bros. in Chicago 1878-79 but none in Boston.

Suggest you remove the barrels and check for proofmarks on underside; it may be a Belgian import sold by a local Boston hardware store
  3. Prodrifter

Prodrifter New Member

Thanks for answering so quickly! I'll try to get some pictures posted including the proofmarks. This is a great resource!

Craig
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

If it has proofmarks, the barrels at least were not made in USA and will probably be Belgian or British.
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Please also post clear pics of the Foss and Boston markings:

I checked 1870-1900 era Boston directories (online in Ancestry) and there are no Foss gunsmiths, sporting goods, or hardware stores listed.