Found 2 very old bullets, help identifying

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by leoh, May 10, 2009.

1. leoh

leoh New Member

Hi everyone.
    I accidentaly found 2 old bullets today.
    I remember my father gave them to me about 10 years ago, and he said that he found them after a big gunfire somewhere around 1965, in Montevideo, Uruguay (South America). At least the 9 mm I am sure.
    May be the long one is from WW 2, since my grand father was a Hungarian soldier. I think he was a sniper, but I am not sure.

I would like to know what they are and if they are worth anything.
    Are they safe to keep? The large one seems to have dirt and/or corrosion on the tip.

The small one is a 9 mm, the big one I have no idea. It is around 7.8 mm tall.
    The 9 mm reads something like "LGECO" or "LG-CO" and a strange symbol. May be a rotated "4"? It also has a red substance (glue?).

The other one clearly reads DWM 1936

Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!
  2. paradox998

paradox998 New Member

I would not worry about keeping either one. The red on the 9mm is a sealer often seen on military ammo and is used as a moisture guard. The larger round is probably am 8mm mauser round as used by many contries around the world. This round was used by the germans among others. DWM was a major germany arms manufacturer in WWI and early WWII armaments.
  3. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

yep long one is an 8mm mauser.
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Oh yeah no doubt about it, pre WWII vintage with the new powder, that round was redesigned to fit the new tooled mouser 98k in 8mm. The first 1898 8mm were of a smaller throat but only just a little and they also used a powder that was corrosive(bad spelling I know).
  5. leoh

leoh New Member

Ok, thank you guys!
    Do these have any collectable value?