found a buried gun today

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by botwrong, Oct 18, 2007.

1. botwrong

botwrong New Member

Hey folks, I found a gun today at work digging down to locate a water valve. Was wondering if i might be able to get some advice on the manufacturer or age. From what i can tell after removing some of the rust, It is a revolver, probably small caliber because the cylinder is about half the length of the 357's & 44's ive seen. Two possible distinguishing things i've noticed are what seems to be a star on the right side where the grip was, this appears to be part of the original metal of the frame, as the grips are gone. The other thing is on the lower rear of the trigger guard there is a small tongue for the shooters middle finger. I realize this may not be very good information for an i.d. but maybe I can get some info on what to do next, as far as taking it to a professiional to clean it or how to clean it myself, or if it's just junk. Thanks for any help.

J.B.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Is their anyway you could post a picture of it, It would greatly help
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Brush off all the dirt with a stiff toothbrush (or similar) and see if you can find any writing or numbers on it.

If you can post some pictures of it.....full length, right and left sides, it would sure help.
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Hope it's not a S&W Russian :eek:
  5. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

It sounds like it must have been there for quite some time. One way to help clean it up is to use regular old break free. Just soak it in the Break free overnight, then use a tooth brush or a brass brush to clean it off. Just a thought anyway. catfish
  6. Butch

Butch New Member

Git a coffee can put some "brake fluid" in it and drop the ole rusty thing in it for a couple days
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

and watch it desintigrate.:p

That's actually, probably the best way, then get a steel brush or steel wool and CAREFULLY rub the remaining rust and residue.
  8. botwrong

botwrong New Member

thanks for the info

I'll try to get pics up as soon as I get new batteries for my camera.
  9. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

Being a cop, and of a suspicious mind, I wonder why it was buried in the first place??
    Is it in a city? An old crime ridden neighborhood of maybe 50-60 years ago. Was it wrapped in any thing, was there rags with the pistol? How old is the house? Man would I like to be there to check out the particulars!!!
    In the 25 years I was a police officer one thing I did learn is that most people like to "bury their mistakes", heh, heh

jeanp1948
  10. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

use the coffe can but use coca cola and let it sit for acouple of days just check on it every now and again abd give it a rub down with a tooth brush
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Odds are , it's just an old cap gun.
  12. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Talk about a zombie thread.... :rolleyes:
  13. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

That is funny, When I was a kid I found a gun in the dirt floor of grandpa's shed. after cleaning it up it was a hubley Gene Autry cap gun. I still have it. probably my dads when he was a kid.
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Ain't that the truth..... :rolleyes:

mike
    gn
  15. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

That little finger rest on the trigger guard narrows it down quite a bit. I believe it to be one of the early turn of the century examples made by H&R, Iver Johnson, or one of the other US manufacturers. Bill Goforth should be along presently to cast some more light on this.