The Firearms Forum banner

Found a used Kimber, good deal?

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Jay 
#1 ·
I did a little looking around today, i found a Kimber Custom II at the local gun shop. they said it was primarily used as a carry weapon, thats why it shows some wear on the outside. it has had about 500 to 1000 rounds through it. they are asking $599 plus tax. does this sound good, or do you guys think i can get that price down a little?

oh yea it has no night sites, with black grips, actually very much what im looking for.

#2 ·
I don't know what they're going for in your area, but I wouldn't worry about the 500-1000 rds. thru it. That's just enough to break it in good.
The thing is, Do you have that," GOT TO HAVE IT." feeling? I swear, when I go into a gun shop, I sometimes get that "Oh, look at that puppy in the window!" feeling. Then I realize, it would not be right not to buy it and give it a good home!

#3 ·
i know the feeling you are talking about, but unfortunatly i want a 1911 so bad i get that about almost any 1911 i see :) however i expected that i would be getting a lower grade pistol for my first, not a kimber. i would be thrilled with a kimber. I just need to see if i can come up with the cash. lets see, 599 makes it 635 after tax, plus rounds, holster, etc... i should be at about 1000 the way i see it.

#7 ·
i know, its just likw buying a used car, you never really know the history. but at least its a kimber, so thats a good start. I was told the gun was owned for several years, he just mostly carried it, never really shot with it. i would need to do a little more research on the gun. maybe ask the owner some questions like when he bought it, what he payed, any other ideas for questions? the kimber website shows the same pistol MSRP at $828

#8 ·
Does the pistol have the EXTERNAL extractor ? That would be a concern to me. They gave some problems early on. If not, buy it. You will have a good pistol. Another thing to consider, do any gunshops in your area have a layaway plan ? Pay down what you already have on a new pistol.

#9 ·
well that particular gun store does have layaway, so thats always an option. pardon my ignorance, but on the 1911, i am not familiar with the external versus internal extractor... can you elaborate some more please.

here is a link to the gun on kimber's web site

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/custom_II/1/

#11 ·
ok so i want the internal extractor, another thing learned. thanks. now i just need to find a picture of an external one so i can see the difference.

#12 · (Edited)
ok so i want the internal extractor, another thing learned. thanks. now i just need to find a picture of an external one so i can see the difference.
Here is what an external extractor looks like. See the little dark thing right above the grip at the rear of the chamber!!

I personally think the $599 sounds like a good price. I also want a Kimber and every few days I stop by my local gun shop and drool over them.:D

#13 ·
ok, that makes perfect sence, quite an obvious change.

i really want to get the gun, and i have the money, but on the other hand my truck (its my dream truck) needs a new engine and im saving up for that. so its finish the truck then get a gun, or get the gun now and put myself back behind schedual on the truck. see my dilema? unfortunatly shooting and guns arent my only hobby, and my truck is more expensive recently :(

#15 ·
i gave 9 and some change for a stainless kimber target mdl and out the door with lazer grips at 1300.00

600 is a good deal. remember the dealer has to make something to keep the lights on. any chance you can shoot it first? i hate to buy used guns especially if it takes a long time to gather the money. the last thing you want is to buy a gun with a problem. what about talking to kimber to see if they warrant to you?

#16 ·
that might be worth a shot, maybe i can research the S/N? to see some backround info. I need to make this decision, and soon.

#18 ·
The series II guns break down and re-assemble a bit differently than the older ones, as the have the Schwartz safety. Not a bad thing, just different. Call Kimber and get a manual, or you may be able to download one from their website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.