Found Grandpa's Gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BabySully, Oct 12, 2012.

1. BabySully

BabySully New Member

I found this pistol in my Granfathers things after he passed.

I was wondering if someone could tell me what kind it is and what year it was manufactured.

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to TFF.

It's a 3rd Model Iver Johnson hammerless made between 1909 and 1934/35, probably .38 S&W caliber.

The serial number should be repeated under left grip with a letter prefix that will identify year made and caliber.
  3. BabySully

BabySully New Member

HRF

Thanks for the information. I never thought I would find a location like this with so muc information. The letter is "D" I attached a pic.

Also the right grip is damaged. Are there places out there to buy a replacement/old parts?

If the value of this gun isnt very higg I would love to get it working and in good shape to shoot it!

Attached Files:

4. hrf

hrf Active Member

5. BabySully

BabySully New Member

That is great. Cant wait to shoot his 100 year old gun! Thank you for all of your help.

I have some other long rifles he brought back from WWII. I will post them in the future.
  6. BabySully

BabySully New Member

Sorry I forgot to ask. Are there certain people that specialize or have good knowledge about refurbishing these guns. I notice the front sight is missing, etc.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A poster here, StoneChimney, as said that he repairs and refurbishes those guns.

Most gunsmiths won't take them in because repairs are time-consuming and frustrating and usually cost more than the gun is worth. If the missing sight is the only problem, and you feel like a little DIY, one can be made from a nickel in an hour or less. They were made a bit oversize and press fitted in, so there is nothing to drill or tap.

Jim
  8. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Anytime you see the OWL on the top of the grips, start thinking Iver Johnson :)
  9. HossFly

HossFly New Member

Hey Shrek :D
  10. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

I know, I'm like a bad penny, just turning up everywhere ;)
    Well, just the better firearms boards...LOL