Founding Patriot Quotations

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Marlin, May 21, 2009.

1. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I thought it would be nice to have a permanent thread on this subject to which appropriate quotes can be added. Here is today's, which I found to be a MORE THAN TRUE !!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [FONT=&quot][​IMG][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"There is no maxim in my opinion which is more liable to be misapplied, and which therefore needs elucidation than the current one that the interest of the majority is the political standard of right and wrong.... In fact it is only reestablishing under another name and a more specious form, force as the measure of right...."[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]--James Madison, letter to James Monroe, October 5, 1786[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][​IMG][/FONT]
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

This one os from Mark'smissive today.

Pops
  3. swiftman

swiftman Member

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.
    Thomas Jefferson

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
    Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time.
    Thomas Jefferson

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.
    Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    Thomas Jefferson

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
    George Washington

Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.
    George Washington

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    George Washington

Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
    James Madison

Gard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but down right force. When ever you give up that force,you are inevitably ruined.
    Patrick Henry

I am sure never was a people , who had more reason to acknowledge a Divine interposition in their affairs, than those of the United States, and I should be pained to believe that they have forgotten that agency, which was so often manifested during our Revolution, or that they failed to consider the omnipotence of that God who is alone able to protect them.

George Washington

Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other.
    John Adams

When the American spirit was in its youth, the language was different; Liberty sir, was the primary object.
    Patrick Henry
  4. swiftman

swiftman Member

These are not from a founder but important just the same.

Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have.
    Ronald Reagan

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan
  5. merrill

merrill New Member

"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say that there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg"- Thomas Jefferson.

" The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"-John Adams

" The United States of America should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy"-George Washington

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches"-Benjamin Franklin

"In no instances have the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people"-James Madison
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

No president in modern times has so eloquently yet simply echoed the spirit and sentiment of the founding fathers as Ronald reagan. Certainly he was a true patriot.
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined...The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun.: -Patrick Henry.

"Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defence? Where is the difference between having our arms in our own possession and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defence be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
    - Patrick Henry

"The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    Samuel Adams

Note: I repeated a quote posted by swiftman because there was one more sentence to the quote which I felt was important.
  8. swiftman

swiftman Member

John Quincy Adams The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: it connected in one indissoluble bond the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity.
  9. swiftman

swiftman Member

Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. John Quincy Adams

Thomas Jefferson worried that the Courts would overstep their authority and instead of interpreting the law would begin making law an oligarchy the rule of few over many.

James Madison, the fourth president, known as 'The Father of Our Constitution' made the following statement: ' We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God.'

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
  10. kerk

kerk New Member

For your liberal friends, or conservative friends who choose to sit silent, not get involved, and are content to become government doles while others fight for their beliefs:

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen".

Samuel Adams.