Four Days and a wake up

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (10/22/01 11:28:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Four Days and a wake up
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Headed to Iowa for the opener, Pheasant under glass anyone?

ruffitt
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/23/01 3:58:26 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Four Days and a wake up
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If U B servin it by par-boiling for about 45 minutes with a bay leaf, then brownin/crispin it in butter in an iron skillett, I'll take a bushel basket of it.

It's been neigh-on to 20 years sisnce I've eaten/tasted a phesant.

When I was a kid (a LONG time ago), when Dad, my Brother and I returned from our hunting trips, Mom would fix the phesants we got for Sunday dinner. Add some REAL mashed potatoes (with lumps), some gravey made from the broth/drippings, an ear of corn with lots of butter and a little salt and pepper, a bit of spinach with vinegar, and a couple slices of bread, and you've got a feast fit for a king.

Gotta quit writin now, I'm slobberin all over my keyboard an my fingers are slippin off the keys.

Have a good time, enjoy yourself, and get back to us 'n let us know how you did.
    RuffItt

Edited by: ruffitt at: 10/23/01 5:00:36 am

the real fredneck
    (10/23/01 8:03:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Four Days and a wake up
    Good luck Reedbuster
    Missouri has a special youth deer season this weekend so the boy and I are going up to my cousin's in Gasconade county with any luck he should get the first of several he's allowed this year

warpig883
    (10/23/01 3:46:14 pm)
    Good luck Reedbuster. Out of staters swarming all over South Dakota right now chasing pheasants. Bird population is down in my area i have not even got a shotgun out. Maybe when snow flies I will give it a whirl.
    Don't mind me, I am a blithering idiot:)

cointoss 2
    (10/23/01 9:13:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I sure miss hunting pheaseant, missed every Monday in High School hunting. Heck they were gonna suspend me told them go ahead I'll just have more time to hunt. I can't remember much about school but I sure remember the sound of a shot on a frosty morning just about the time I should have been in English class. Lol
    cointoss2

kdubaz
    (10/23/01 9:50:36 pm)
    Headin' southeast Thursday morning for opening deer season on Friday. My local rancher friend has made arrangements with a neighboring rancher to hunt his place that hasn't been hunted for about 5 years now. Should be some "big" Coues whitetail bucks in there, if we're lucky.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

cointoss 2
    (10/24/01 8:44:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Kdubya, have a good hunt and don't get any saddle sores.
    cointoss2

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (10/24/01 10:25:50 pm)
    Thanks Everyone, Good Luck Kdub.
    "Arm yourselves, and be ye men of valour, and be in readiness for the conflict; for it is better for us to perish in battle than to look upon the outrage of our nation and our altar." Churchill - May 19, 1940, London.

ruffitt
    (10/24/01 11:42:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Hope you're lucky kdub. Get a big'un.
    RuffItt

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/26/01 4:19:16 pm)
    Ruffitt -

Spinach with vinegar! I thought I was the only one! Add to that a teensy bit of butter and a dash of salt. Hard ta beat, although beet greens the same way are a close second!

ruffitt
    (10/27/01 1:44:26 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    280 -

Agree with your recipe - but ya gotta use white vinegar, not the red wine stuff. 'N the butters got be melted. A couple shakes of crushed red pepper adds a little zest to it. I could eat it by the bowl full, but gotta me mindful of future events if I eat too much.
    RuffItt

cointoss 2
    (10/27/01 9:57:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    280.and Ruffitt, always kept a bottle of vinegar with the little itty, bitty, hot damn!, peppers in the fridge. The last time I replaced the bottle was 15 years ago when the bottom disentegrated for pouring on my greens.
    cointoss2

Zigzag2
    (10/27/01 9:59:33 am)
    Lord have mercy....... I'll take a plate of those fixin's myself.
    Sounds soooooooo goodddddddd!!!

Zig