Fox 20 GA side by side shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by frogman69, Nov 14, 2011.

1. frogman69

frogman69 New Member

I was told to hand over my Fox 20 GA side by side shotgun to a law firm.
    While my gun was in their possession, it was stolen out of their office. Now they want me to prove what the shotgun is worth. Since I did not write down the markings from inside the gun, I am not sure as to which grade the gun is. At the same time, I do not want to settle for what could be less value than the gun is worth. I pulled up The Gun Digest of Sporting Shotguns and the value hit a maximum of $30,000. I am wondering is there someway to show this number is a fair number to replace a gun that my father bought a long time ago.
  2. RJay

RJay Active Member

Was it a A.H. Fox or one built by Savage.? With out pictures or other evidence you are never going to convince anyone that your Fox was a Exhibition Grade shotgun in new condition. Sorry about that. I think the best you can hope for is M Grade in good condition and even that is doubtful.
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Welcome to the forum, frogman69. Unfortunately, without some kind of evidence as to markings and serial number it will be impossible to prove that type of value. Kind of like saying "My watch was stolen" and trying to convince folks it was a Rolex when Timex is much more common.

Are there any old photographs of the gun, or someway to determine about when it was bought? At least we may be able to determine if this is AH Fox or Savage-Fox.
  4. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum frogman; sorry for your tough luck!

The nearest thing to "hard evidence" might be an average of what Fox doubles are currently selling for, disregarding grade and where made. Do a search of the online auctions for Fox 20s sold last 90 days to get an average.

Good luck.
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

With all due respect, if I were the insurance adjuster I'd never go for that. There were far more Savage-Fox B-series guns than AH Fox 20ga guns. Unless frogman can show it was an AH Fox or even an Ithaca-Fox Sterlingworth, I'm afraid he is probably going to be stuck at the Savage-Fox price range.

I really hope it was NOT a 'real' Fox. That would suck out loud.
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

OK Frogman, let's try this. You stated you were told to hand the gun to the lawyer, do you have any documentation for this? Was the notice in a letter? Did you get any receipt?
    Depending on your answer, it would fall upon the atty to pay for the stolen item(s); if you can prove that the atty had your property AND that it was stolen while in his possession. Presumably this is resulting from legal actions by the atty and should be covered by his insurance, the burden of proof would fall on the atty to prove other than what you claim was lost.

I am NOT a lawyer, thank God, but you should speak to a different atty.
  7. frogman69

frogman69 New Member

I do not have any photos but I do know the gun was giving to my Father by his Father and he died before I was born. Over 52 years ago. I believe someone at the law firm knew the value and took the gun. This is a high profile family law firm. It is suppose to be the best in Dallas. Their office is extremely secure and no one is let past the front door unless they are with someone. There was just a small amount of markings on the gun. You could see the blue in the steel. Single trigger with nice carving on the wood. I just need a guess of what it could be worth.
    Thanks
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

150.00-30,000. Not trying to be a smartass(for once)but with no more information there's no clue to what it really was or it's worth. Savage purchased A.H. Fox in 1929 so that was a good bit over 52 years ago and just being old doesn't give it any special value.
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The overwhelming probability is that it was a Fox Model B, and if in excellent condition it is worth a maximum of around $600.
  10. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

When you handed the gun over you should have obtained a receipt from the firm stating the date it was turned over and discription and make/model of gun. All of this would have been avoided. Personally, I wouldn't leave one of my guns anywhere like that without some proof that the gun was even left. Whatever model it was, you most likely will have to settle for it being a Fox model B. Really, even if you had pics, I am sure the law firm has the expertise and experience to convince others that the gun in question was not the same as the one in the photo, especially if it was a high price gun. Should have been something in writing and signed.