Fox hunting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by swanshot, Aug 14, 2009.

1. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Here in Australia fox hunting is a big thing.
    They are a feral animal, and as such are fair game for all:):)
    We hunt em with spotlights, we hunt em with whistles at dawn and dusk. We stalk em. We Hunt em over baits.
    The .17 rimfires, and the hornet are perfect for this type of hunting, but we use whatever we've got, .22rimfire to 30 WSM. Hell, we throw rocks at em:D:D.

As I write this it is howling wind and rain outside, but it is the last dash of winter. another month and the weather will turn, and then the foxes will be hyper active because they have weaned litters to feed.

Yeeha, Let the fun begin.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

You've got rain there? Send it to SW OZ, man!
    I'd love to join you, even if Aussie law relegates me to a slingshot. Foreign national and all. Maybe I can recruit my son in law, he lives in Bendigo.
    And he likes to shoot. After all he IS my son in law!

Foxes are too scarce here for me to hunt. I got a rabid one in the front yard once, she was old and decripit. Honestly I believe she was trying to "find her end" by approaching humans and not running away.
    But I know Australia is full of "nuisance" game.
    I need a sign, "Will Hunt For Air Fare." To display at Atlanta airport.
  3. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Give it a try. Hey, wadda ya got to loose but you dignity:D:D
    You could come out with me. I even gotta hound dawg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  4. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

Love fox hunting. In ireland there fair game all year round although some hunters stop shooting them around March and start again in September. Best method is lamping
  5. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Do I assume correctly that what you call "lamping" is what we call "spotlighting?

driving in a vehicle with a high power, hand held light. One guy drives, one runs the light, and one shoots. What often happens is that the driver is watchin the spotlight instead of where he's drivin, and hits something:eek::eek:. Last time I was drivin I drove into a big washout. had to borrow a tractor to pull it out:eek::eek::eek::D:D
  6. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

we can't hunt them here, but we can trap them. They are pretty strict aout letting us spotlight anything. I think we may be able to get a permit from the game warden to spotlight hogs, but even that is a pain in the but to obtain.
  7. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Foxes are pretty rare around these parts,
    But we do have a lot of coyote's.
    Rabbit scream has always worked
    bringing em in.
  8. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

My 'irishisms' arnt going to work here:p. Kind of Swanshot. Basically, one person driving, one person using the spotlamp (which runs off the cigerette lighter in the jeep) and one or two riflemen. But in Ireland its illegal to shoot from a vehicle(moving or parked:rolleyes:), so your supposed to get out and go on foot with a hand held light when you spot your fox. 'Nightforce' are the best make of lamp i think.

Yea can be distracting when you think you see a pair of eyes in a field, when you should be keeping the eyes on the road. Iv had a few close ones myself :)
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  9. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

Heres a tip buddy, you may know already though. Get a piece of glass, (i actually use the mirror from the sunvisor of my old car), And a piece of aeroboard. wet it a bit and rub it off the glass/mirror. Works brilliantly, ive called in many foxes using it. Its cheap to:):)
  10. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Hear tell:D
  11. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

Heres a handy site where you can download calls from animals for fox hunting. Also duck calls and other things. Might come in handy for some of you guys. Also Varmint Als website have downloadable calls too.

http://www.western-rivers.com/downloads.html
  12. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Don't worry about the Irishisms' mate. I use Aussie and get by just fine.
    They're a good lot, and I think they actually enjoy a bit of variety. can be real fun with spelling---they just don't have a clue;);):p:p:D
  13. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Do we want one? :D:D
  14. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Naaa, probably not:D:D
  15. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

Swanshot what do you find as the best caller for red foxes? Iv been meaning to upgrade but its a question that gets a lot of different answers. Im weighing up all answers at the minute.
    Also have you ever used a 'wham call'? I was going to buy one but ive gotten mixed reports. I dont know are they called a wham call in oz but its like a little metal disc about the size of a good size coin, with a hole in the middle. When you blow it it squeeks. Do ya know the thing im on about?
  16. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. It's what I use, and never found a reason to try anything else, because they work every time.
    Try This: Hold it in your lips, in front of your teeth (no hands) and suck, not blow. Practice until you can get a sharp squeal. Now don't over do it.
    A couple of short sharp squeals, then settle down and wait.
  17. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

Yea, i was planning on getting one and you've made my mind up:)
    A lot of lads swear by them around here, say they have foxes run in like the clappers, others say they dont work but im guessing there doing something wrong. Thanks Swanshot
  18. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Used it, works well.

Remembering that this is a hunting forum, my statement following will be several lines down. Those of you who are sensitive do not read.

The best i've used is a recording
    we made murdering a rabbit. Don't hate me,
    I'm just simple folk.
  19. swanshot

swanshot New Member

I don't boubt you for a minute, But you're a gross bastard:D:D:D
  20. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

He might be a "Gross Bastard" as you put it :( but just think about this for a minute. Swanshot you showed a picture of your "Hound". Has he/she ever ran a rabbit into a hole and you collected the rabbit. If so I bet it screamed to beat heck ;).When I was a kid in Oklahoma I have retrieved many Cottontail rabbits from holes:eek:. Mostly just knocked then in the head with a stick I carried, just for that purpose by the way;).Had I had one of these fancy MP3s or something similar I would have made a tape of the squealing then and used it.Today I use an Olt mouth call and a Bandit electronic call. The bandit is by far the best call I have ever used,oh yea before someone asks. No I neither work nor have any business interest with the corporation. They just make dang good calls. One of the reasons that I haven't been on here much lately is because of varmint hunting. Now it is Elk season and I haven't made up my mind about hunting for one or not. I have lots of meat and may just go video some Elk North of my house. I do have my eye on a nice buck though.Swanshot I do miss the country you have there. I had excellent hosts while I was there and totally had a blast.I do believe though that some of the things we did may have been frowned upon by the local conservation officials. Damn you folks have some big rabbits. Kutaho you take care over there in the rainy country.Oh yea,I don't know if they are any left but just South of Bellingham by Alger Mountain, in the fields I used to run a lot of Red Fox with hounds. Well I have to go help a friend get a bull out of the hills. Thankfully we called in a small one so it will not be overly difficult to retrieve. Dang kids never know where to stay out of,it will take him over two hours to clear a path for us to get close to it with the four wheeler. Oh well better him than me.;):) catfish