Fox Sterlingworth

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jniarhos, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Jniarhos

Jniarhos New Member

I have a Fox Sterlingworth double barrel 12 gauge with a 26 inch barrel and it has ejectors. The seriel number is 59633 which puts it at 1911. Its been neglected over the years and has some pits on the metal. No pits inside the barrel. I cant decide on whether to attempt to get it restored or sell it. It was my Dads. Can any one tell me the cost of reconditioning as opposed to what I should ask for it if I decide to sell? Thanks, Jim
  2. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Jniarhos,

I have a Fox Sterlingworth with SN 5797X that according to Fox factory records was shipped October 24th, 1911 so I expect yours was shipped around that time, probably just a little later. Mine also has 26 inch barrels which is a little unusual but letters that way.

Restoring your gun could cost any where from around a hundred bucks or so to several hundred or more depending on how much you want done. And you would never get that money back when you sell the gun.

Best to use it the way it is after having someone familiar with old doubles check it over to make sure it is safe to shoot. And only shoot light field loads with lead shot.

Hard to say what the value would be as it is now. Can you post some good, focused, close up photo's?

Hope this helps.

Jolly
  3. Jniarhos

Jniarhos New Member

Thanks, Bill I will get some pic.
  4. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

It's about a $600.00 gun where I am in condition described. Possibly less if the wood is in poor condition in addition to the pitting. How tight is the action? Either way, as already mentioned, the cost to restore properly would far exceed its value.