1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Stumbled on to a purty shootgun this afternoon, what Justin Wilson would call a "twice barrelled carabine..."

Its a 12ga SxS marked Ansley H Fox. (So its not a Savage, right?) The barrels are marked Krupp Steel and Philadephia. The gun is serial numbered on the bottom of the tang, 114XX. So kinda low. It is in good shape. Bores are shiny. A couple of scratches in the blue, but nothing that does not looked earned, but well taken care of. Pistol grip, double triggers, ejector - but not selective. I did not see grade marks on it, but I was not in a position to strip it at the time. Hard butt plate. There is a SMALL amount of engraving, like on/around the big screw heads, but no game scenes or anything that I would consider "high grade" engraving. Looked to be 30" tubes and a checkerd game rib. One bead, not ivory. Wood and metal fit is great. Locks up REAL tight. Stickered at $1,799. Thoughts?
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

If it's marked "Philadelphia", then it's a genuine Fox and not a Savage.

Your description sounds like a "Sterlingworth" or an early "A" or "B" grade.....which have about the same value as a Sterlingworth.

From the serial #, I'm guessing that this gun is an early "A" grade......and for an early "A" grade, it would have to be in 90%+ condition to be worth $1,800.
  3. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Thx Xracer - that's kind of what I thought. It is not marked Sterlingworth, like some I have seen. I can't give it 90%, but it does look good. Maybe I'll go talk trash with something in trade and see what we might can work out. (I'm a sucker of old SxS's - Fox's, Elsies, etc.)