Foxing in Ireland

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by DustyIrl, Sep 24, 2009.

1. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

Well folks,
    I hadnt done any fox shooting over the summer (wouldnt really call it a summer actually), and had new turkeys coming to be fattened for xmas. I said i better give the fields a quick lamp (spotlighting, i think ye call it). Thursday night i went out on my own from 9-12. Lit up 2 good sized cubs and a dog fox. One came in with fire at his heels at my squeeker, once the lamp went on him he skiddadled, as did the other cub. The dog strolled by ocasionally stopping to look at the lamp. Although two were in range, it was too dangerous to get a shot off on my own.

The next day i rang my cousin (my usual lamping partner is awol:)), and asked him to be the lamp man. Not a hunter himself, but was delighted to help. We parked the car at the top of the field, i hopped in the back seat, him into the drivers seat. I called and called with the squeeker to no avail. Around 11 and i was getting tired, about to call it a night (i know, it was early). Just then two green lights lit up at the bottom of the field. I told Niall to leave it off. I called for about 20 seconds and Niall lit up the fox about 40 yards away. "Off" i whispered and lined up the shot. Let out a lip squeek (the signal for Niall to click the lamp. The foxes eyes lit up again, almost exactly where i positioned my aim, slight move to the left and BANG, dropped this fella side on, around 40 yards, perfect distance for the shottie. A cub, this years cub but a good size. One less to worry about now. I enjoyed the night, not only did me and the cousin get to catch up on things, i also got a fox for Nialls first night. No complaints of Niall on the lamp, a fast learner that will be needed again soon.;)

[​IMG][/IMG]

Ecuse the bad picture, taken on a mobile phone. ( cell phone)
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Ya got turkeys in Ireland:confused:
    Dang, learn something new everyday.
    didna know they could fly that fer:eek::rolleyes::D:D
  3. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

We have turkeys but not wild ones like in the US. These were mine to rear for Christmas and unlike american turkeys, they cannot fly. I have a lot of chickens, ducks and turkeys. There locked in at night but foxes can come anytime when there hungry or have cubs. I do know a fella who has recently released 6 american turkeys. Hoping it is a success as its something i wouldnt mind doing. He got the eggs off ebay
  4. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Slapping self in head.
    o ya domestic turkeys.:eek:
    I don't know, i just thought of wild turkeys.
    There fun.
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

DustyIrl,

What be ya then a farmer?:) So am I, and the coyote are the problem here. They had run the fox off, untll we thinned them down. We hunt in the daytime, in the winter, tracking them on snow to their beds, and jumping them up. We use dogs some times to track and chase them out to where one of the group can get a shot. Would like to try a call at night, I bet it would work well here. What do you shoot for a gun? Tell me about your call....

Regards, Kirk
  6. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

:p Out of interest, do you flush turkeys in the US with a dog or is it more of a stalking hunt??
  7. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

Hi Kirk. God i would only love to be a farmer;) The uncle has 32 acres of land which we have 2 donkeys( dont know why:rolleyes:), Ducks, chickens, turkeys, 3 pet sheep and other pets. The rest of the land we grow corn. I do help farmers around the area but dont actually make a living of our tiny 32 acres. More of a hobby. Another uncle does have a big farm but he is old so i do a lot down there with his cattle.

Myself, i shoot a lanber shotgun:(. For foxes ammo wise, i use 00 semi magnums. Have dropped every fox on the spot to 50m. Wouldnt chance it any further. Its actually a good gun, no problems but hope to upgrade to semi auto. I am also trying to save for a 223 especially for the foxes but a baby due in 5 weeks put a stop to that months ago. However i do get a friend to help with the foxes. The older ones know well not to come to the lamp:eek: For this we use a 22-250, as an old dog fox with a belly full of chickens found out below:eek:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Iv no doubt in my mind that calling at night would work brilliant on coyote's.
    We have any electric caller, which has a few different calls(rabbit distress, fox cub, vixen etc). The coyote callers work well on foxes here too. But do you know what i find brilliant? A piece of polystyrene rubbed on wet glass(i use the vanity mirror of my old car). I have have foxes run in from hundreds of yards away. Never fails.

All the best with it Kirk, Let me know how you get on.
    Dean
  8. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Be verrry verrry quit, im hunting turkey.
    You get the idea..;)
  9. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

Ah, year its a stalk so:)
    Would love to do some turkey shooting. I might see if i can get some eggs and release a few over the next couple of years.
  10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Dusty, What county are you in? I have spent some time there myself. Used to bring back pochine in the panniers.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2009
  11. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

Im in Offaly. Family in Dublin, Westmeath, and a few other counties which i spend a lot of time in. Aye, iv been trying to get some pochine or poitin (pronounced puch-een for the buys across the pond that arnt familiar with it) for a while now. Cant seem to get decent stuff anywhere. They do sell legal stuff at tourist attractions but TranterUK youll know yourself its not the good stuff:D. That stuff would keep you warm out hunting on a winters night wouldnt it mate:D?
  12. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Sounds like Irish whiskey?
    Or a good brandy.
  13. DustyIrl

DustyIrl New Member

Nope, its alcoholic alright, 100% volume. Made from potato skins. Its the colour of water. Hard enough to get nowadays but boy its hardy stuff:D:D
  14. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

When Dusty says hardy stuff, he understates it.

Remember the joke, if stopped by the Garda what with it being clear 'Its holy water officer', he tastes it, 'poitin!' he says. 'What? Its a miracle' says I.

Spent time in Donigall, West Cork and Galway. A few stories to tell. Always liked the people. Honorary member of a motorcycle club in Clondorkin.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009