FP-45 Liberator

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by army mp, Oct 11, 2009.

1. army mp

army mp Member

Talk about Gold. I went to a Gun show this weekend and One Guy had
    An FP-45 Liberator. For $4000.00 . A little research and I came up with a Value a little closer to $1500.00. Still not to bad for a gun that cost the Government $2.40 to make back in the 40s. I also read most of the originals were lost. But there are some copies out there. What I read said there was a water mark on Originals that was hard to duplicate. But they did not go into detail.
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i have one new in the box with the wooden push rod and the comic instructions for it's use, never ever saw a copy. i've been offered 3500.00 for mine and refused. cheap and ugly but a rare collectable and a piece of history. i like to show mine off and show it next to my simmerling with is on the other end of the scale
  3. army mp

army mp Member

You do have a rare find. I read about them a few years back. I think the $1500.00 range was in the condition of the Gun show piece. No box or push rod. As you already know. Most of them where Air dropped. Over France. And being stamped metal. Did not stand the text of Time. Like any rare Item. There are Fakes, and copies out there.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i was so tempted to fire the liberator but frankly it scared me. and i ran out and bought the simmerling to fire and use as a carry gun. well that was a bad idea as well for as well made as the semmerling is it's almost painful to shoot, but it did cure me of wanting to fire the fp-45, because if the simmerling was painful the fp-45 would have to be a wrist snapper. or maybe i'm just a sissy ? since i know of someone that shoots a american derringer in 45/70 and loves it :eek:
  5. army mp

army mp Member

To each his own. For years I wanted a 44 mag, But have wised up in my old age. The 357 is about as hot as I want to go anymore. I saw them shooting the 500 S&W on TV. It made me cringe just at the thought of it.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I read somewhere that there is a manufacturer that is remaking them , if someone buys one and makes it look old, then you can get taken.
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i dont understand why in the name of god anyone would want one they main reason for exsistance was to kill the bad guy and take his gun so you could have a real gun. as i said i'd be afraid to fire one
  8. gandog56

gandog56 Member

The original delivered cost for the FP-45 was $2.40/unit ($26 in 2005). A Liberator in good condition today can fetch approximately $2500, with the original box bringing an additional $1500, with an original extremely rare paper instruction sheet the value could exceed $4500 to a collector of rare World War II militaria. Fakes of these sheets exist, but authentic copies have a watermark that can be seen clearly, which is difficult to duplicate.