Fr$%^#^ckin' ASTRA just bit me....

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/11/01 10:10:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Fr$%^#^ckin' ASTRA just bit me....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Took the Astra to the range to function test the new mag I got from Bob today, decided to clean it because the ammo was old and prolly corrosive...

Just field stripped it...(Leave it to the darn Spanish to have DIFFERENT ways to field versus detail strip!) to wipe it down....

NOWHERE does it say "after turning barrel to disengage lugs, remove slide and barrel from frame WHILE KEEPING FINGERS FROM INSIDE OF FRAME IN CASE BARREL SLIPS FROM RECESS AND SLAMS BACK ON THEM WITH FORCE OF THE EIBAR SPECIAL 1500LBS RECOIL SPRING IN WHICH CASE MASSIVE BLOODBLISTER MAY FORM ON MIDDLE FINGER OF LEFT HAND!!!"

DAMN that hurt, and I don't have many fingers to spare on that hand...

I'm should sue the olive-eating bums...product liability...

Anybody want to buy an Astra 400, bloodstains are free???????? Just kidding, I still kinda like it.....kinda...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 11/12/01 12:13:53 am

warpig883
    (11/11/01 10:42:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Fr$%^#^ckin' ASTRA just bit me....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hee hee thats funny. Heck ya might as well be shooting a Garand. At least everyone know about M1 thumb and you would have been watching for it. I got an old single shot shotgun I'll swap ya fer that fancy Spanish pop gun.
    custom signature

walrus1432
    (11/11/01 10:43:45 pm)
    Could only happen to you Dad!!!

This is a joke...just to warn you...maybe instead of writing that sort of a warning, they should put this:
    WARNING: Not for use by clumbsy full-blooded Pollacks lacking a thumb...
    I'm teasing! But be smart...don't try the same thing again..I bet it's not afraid to bite you twice!!!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/11/01 10:52:56 pm)
    Ah! another polish collector`s piece. SKS with thumb meat and now a SPANISH PISTOLA with thumb meat, dang good thing it don`t use strippers.......
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

polishshooter
    (11/11/01 11:00:27 pm)
    Hey LTS, the SKS got the thumb, the Astra got my middle finger...here let me show you...

Worst part is, the barrel is sitting next to the 'puter still, and the rest of it is strewn about the kitchen table and my wife just made a snide comment as she was going to bed, about are you sure you can get it back together?

YES, I have instructions...and vise-grips...

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 11/11/01 11:03:04 pm

polishshooter
    (11/11/01 11:30:47 pm)
    AHA...got it back together AGAIN. And didn't need the vise grips, 20 oz ball peen OR the strut spring compression tool, so THERE.

(Boy, that barrel bushing and bushing lock sure can FLY when it slips off...Polish Tip of the Day: Always be sure to wipe the gun oil from your fingers when trying to reinstall the bushing, especially when the instructions tell you to "Firmly position the back of the gun against the table top when pushing down on the bushing, and recoil spring...")

Had it pointed away, but even that doesn't help, when it comes out, the spring bends and can send it out in ANY direction...

I wonder how many Spanish Republicans got captured by Franco's Fascists while laying unconscious with a half stripped Astra on the table, and a barrel bushing lock nut embedded in their forehead...

What numbnuts designs a BLOWBACK pistol to use such a powerful cartridge? That recoil spring could be used as a suspension part for a small foriegn car...

Bob In St Louis
    (11/12/01 8:24:15 am)
    I believe that the 9mm Largo Astra is about the most powerful direct blowback design pistol. You better be careful - add too many more firearms to your collection, you will run out of appendages to get bitten!

I will leave it to everyone's imagination from there -----

P.S. - I imbedded a barrel bushing in a suspended ceiling tile one time - luckily I jerked my head to the side just in time or it would have parted my hair.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

gpostal
    (11/12/01 10:44:40 am)
    so what you guys are saying don't dis-assemble re-assemble a astra in your lap ?

to bad you got it back together I was hoping for a basket case astra for sale in b/s/t

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/12/01 3:50:17 pm)
    Polish, I think your right !!! I seem to remember an article awhile back as to where Ford Motor Company acquired a bunch of them astra's and used the springs in their assembly plants then took the gun down to the local "buy back program" and turned a profit on it.

Confused? Don't be so sure.

gun runner john
    (11/12/01 5:07:24 pm)
    I'll be a while before I take my 400 apart again! Yes, I did launch the spring and bushing, and the busing was behind the safe, what a PITA!!! That is one powerful spring, I'll just hose it down with Gun Scrubber instead of field stripping it.

polishshooter
    (11/12/01 8:59:22 pm)
    Don't get me wrong, I am currently in a Love/Hate Love/Hate Keep/Sell Keep/Sell relationship with the ugly thing.

Thing is ugly, it bites, the controls are goofy, the trigger sucks, the heel clip is the worst I've EVER worked, I can barely pull that slide back against the spring with my left hand (no thumb)(No a power equipment accident, NOT a firearm!) no holster fits it, and did I mention it's UGLY?

But it shoots NICE 10 yd groups, never has malfunctioned once (AFTER it's put together...) is in FINE shape, is from the Civil War era Bob says (37 or 3 , points nicely, quality workmanship, I love the cartridge, (what if they would have named it the 9mm Magnum, instead of "Large?" HHmmm...) and did I mention it's UGLY? (In a cool sort of way...)

But if it keeps biting me....

shooter22
    (11/13/01 12:05:27 am)
    Polishshooter, You say it is ugly, but is it Glock ugly?

shooter22

polishshooter
    (11/13/01 12:35:02 am)
    ANYbody can make something ugly out of PLASTIC, it takes WORKMANSHIP to make something ugly out of iron....

And while I really shouldn't dump on them, never even shot one yet, actually, I STILL can't imagine 60 or 70 years from now a PlastiGlock being enjoyed by shooters and collectors like the Astra, or a hundred years later like a 1911A1....and by then the Astras and Colts will STILL be blazing away!

shooter22
    (11/13/01 8:57:54 pm)
    You & me, both!

shooter22

polishshooter
    (11/13/01 9:39:08 pm)
    The worst thing about it is I REALLY wanted to sell or trade it, but it's developing a personality and you NEVER sell a gun with personality even if it's a bad one....

obelix2
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/13/01 9:43:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del dumber than that, by a lot
    I guess I could sue Beretta about their (US-made) Tomcat as unsafe for use by idiots, because the damn thing tore out pieces of me between the thumb and forefinger (it's a small gun, and there's not much space between the grip and the slide).

The problem is I've got scars on BOTH hands. How do I make money out of that?

polishshooter
    (11/13/01 9:50:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: dumber than that, by a lot
    OUCH!

I once let my dufus ex-bro-in-law shoot my .45, thought he knew how, he grabs the thing and puts his left thumb back over his other hand BEHIND the slide, I guess that's how he shot revolvers, and before I noticed he touches it off...TWICE, nice gouges, and a red mist flew back, I swear I saw it, then he noticed the blood and handed it back, never asked to shoot it again...and acted like it didn't hurt...

gun runner john
    (11/15/01 5:03:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: dumber than that, by a lot
    "you NEVER sell a gun with personality even if it's a bad one.... "

Are you sure there isn't room for exceptions? How about one with a personality like this?