1. CCubed

CCubed New Member

Hi. I have a FR7 Spanish Mauser. It's in very good to excellent condition, but it has one major drawback: It closed on a commercial .308WIN no-go gauge. It did not close on a field gauge, however. My local gunsmith said that it was safe to shoot but only with 7.62x51 rounds that had been reloaded to 7x57 Mauser pressure standards. Since I am more interested in shooting, at this point, than reloading, I am willing to get rid of the rifle. However, I am not unaware of the fact that these FR7s are relatively rare. Yet, not too many people want them because of their 93 actions and the fact that they're in 7.62x51 caliber.

In this excellent condition, but with excessive headspace, what do you think the rifle's worth?

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13648&stc=1&d=1182948316
    FR7(1).jpg

Attached Files:

2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

3. kfb2b

kfb2b New Member

There is something of importance to note on these guns. this is a 1893 spanish mauser action, and is not noted for it's incredible strngth. In fact, many regard the spanish mauser with derision because of some soft steel used in the guns, and as these guns were orginally chambered in 7x57, which was not a hi-pressure number, as opposed to the 308 which was many decades later, which was quite hi-pressure. I would council against ANY full power loadings of the 308. Consider factory ammo the hottest, and try to avoid surplus

If you do choose to fire it in this manner, you will find that it shoots very high, the reason being that the spanish called the 7.62x52 the CETME, which was downloaded in performace and pressure to about 300 savage levels. I would suggest that if you hand load then download accordingly. if you are not a handloader, then you are better off to go with the reduced recoil line of cartridges for the gun.

Note that there are those that will poo-poo what I have written above, but much research will show that it is historical fact regarding the building of these guns and thier history. You can probably shoot it somewhat short-term and ignore me, but you are risking failure at some point in the future, and with 60,000 psi going off near your face, is it worth it?

I am not saying that it is a bad gun. I have one of the guns not so-converted (the 1916, I think it is called), I just use it as it was designed to be used, and so should you