The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Wesson rifle question??

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
Let me start off by saying hello my name is Bill and im from the Dayton Ohio area.

I recentlly aquired through an inheritance a Frank Wesson rifle. i've tried to research is as much as possible on the interwebs but to no avail theres not alot about his firearms in print. Stamped on the barrel is "Frank Wesson Worcester Mass. Pat'd Oct. 25, 1859 & Nov.11, 1862".

I believe this to be a second type rifle as it does not have the right rear sight and sling attachment points. On top of that it does have a manual sliding shell extractor on the right side of the gun. From what i've seen the ones issued to solders were lacking the shell extractor. I do believe this is a .44 Cal rifle and it has a 24'' octagon barrel. The serial number stamped on the trigger guard is "3"??? The ones i've seen on the net and books have a four diget number, mine is just "3". I find it hard to believe I have the third gun of this series but stranger things have happened.

If anyone might be able to lead me in a direction of researching this more i'd be greatly apreciative or if you might have some first hand knowledge i'd love to hear it. Im looking foward to your comments.

PS- As soon as my wife finds the adapter to our camera i'll be able to post up some pictures.

See less See more
#3 ·
Found the cord for the camera! Here are the pictures.

#4 ·
It absolutely is the Second Type Two-Trigger Frank Wesson rifle. There is not much in-depth research out there on these, but they are believed to have been serial numbered within their type so it is not unreasonable to believe it is serial number 3 or the Second Type. That should put it in 1863 or 1864.

Condition is a little hairy with the broken guard, but still a nice rifle overall. Not terribly rare or terribly expensive but still a nice rifle. Should be chambered in .44 rimfire.

#5 ·
It absolutely is the Second Type Two-Trigger Frank Wesson rifle. There is not much in-depth research out there on these, but they are believed to have been serial numbered within their type so it is not unreasonable to believe it is serial number 3 or the Second Type. That should put it in 1863 or 1864.

Condition is a little hairy with the broken guard, but still a nice rifle overall. Not terribly rare or terribly expensive but still a nice rifle. Should be chambered in .44 rimfire.
Thanks for the responce StoneChimney! Here is another question I have to ask about it. Since I had it inherited to me (It was my great grandfathers, then my grandfathers, then my fathers) i'll NEVER get rid of it and it will be passed down to my boy. That being said i've debated having it restored. I can get a new reproduction stock, have the trigger guard fixed and have it all re-blued. Making it look like it did when it was made or should I just leave it as is?

My gun loving friends are on the fence about it too. Advise?

#7 ·
Please leave it as is. Above all, don't allow somebody who does not professionally restore these antique rifles to touch it. Modern bluing techniques are completely wrong for this rifle.
If I was to have it "restored" it most defenatly would be of the highest professional quality. When it comes to things thats been in my family for generations, moneys not an issue.

I can understand both sides of the restoration issue, I just dont know yet what side of the fence I want to be on with this particular rifle.

#8 ·
There are two types of restoration, partial and total. A partial restoration fixes what is wrong and brings the gun to what a well-cared for gun from that period should look like, retaining as much of the original finish as possible. A total restoration uses period-correct methods to restore the gun to factory new appearance.

Here is what would be involved:

Weld the trigger guard and restore correct shape (these are iron, as is the frame), rust blue.
Fit reproduction wood, finish
Carefully clean the mechanism, removing active rust but retaining all markings and as much of the original patina as possible.

That would complete a partial restoration. A total restoration could also include relining the bore and rust bluing the entire firearm. A nice touch, although not altogether original, would be to fire blue the screws and case-color the triggers and hammer.

#9 ·
I defenatly apreciate all your input. I'll take all of it into account "IF" I decide to go the restoration route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.