Frankford Arsonal DS-750 Scale??

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by duffman77087, Jan 17, 2012.

1. duffman77087

duffman77087 Former Guest

What do you guys think of this Frankford Scale from Midway? Currently using RCBS 505 Balance Beam Scale & would like to go digital. Would like to get the RCBS Electronic Scale but I think I want a Lyman Case Prep Center first and money won't allow me to got both this month.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512/frankford-arsenal-ds-750-
    electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Don't waste the $20 on it.
    They're too light to be stable enough for full-time loading use and they drift more than a higher-quality scale will. They were built to be portable enough to carry around and do quick checks but the accuracy just isn't there for steady use. They work good enough to carry around at gunshows to do quick checks on "mystery" bulk or surplus components though.

Keep using your beam scale until you can pack-rat enough cash for better quality scale. You've got a good chance to catch them on sale that way too. Midway usually has them on sale every two or three months.

BTW, if you're eyeballing either of the two RCBS models, be sure to watch the PACT branded scales too. They're the same scales, just in a different colored case. The PACTs are priced cheaper than RCBS.
  3. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I will second that. I have one and it wanders a little too much for my tastes. I want to get a new digital scale as well, but havent decided on what to get.
  4. Orin

Orin Member

I find mine works well but it has a few quirks. Do not let any airflow in the room when using cuz you'll see variance when using the powder tray. When trickling powder into it and you get within .2 grns of your target give the mound of powder a slight nudge with your dipper of some such & watch the numbers resettle. They'll often end up a bit higher. Example - While loading 12.5 grns of Unique recently I'd go to around 12.3, nudge it & it would often settle on 12.4 or .5. But frankly, I see the same activities from beam scales & they're slower. I rarely load true max loads though so plus or minus a tenth...? I think if I was into high psi rifle loading I'd get a better scale.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I had one that I gave away along with a couple of other scales ( a 505 too ) in the Oct or Nov giveaways. I had 5 scales all side by side and the F/A was right there within .1 gn every time with the 3 RCBS's ( 2 505's and an elect 750 ) , Lee Safety and Lyman D-7.

I bought a 10-10 recently, got rid of my 505 and still have my RCBS 750. I have had no issues at all out of my 750 and I bought it new off flEaBay for around $85 shipped.

on a side note, I'm still digging thru my reloading stuff and I'm slowly puttting my bench back together. I'll have the 30-30 very soon. and I still have 100 new .380 I'll throw your way too if you need it.
  6. duffman77087

duffman77087 Former Guest

Thanks Everyone for your input! I really appreciate it. I think I will wait on the electronic scale for now, see where I can get my best deal at.

Hey Woolley, I would love the .380ACP's too if you can spare them. I will P.M. you with my work address to ship them to. Better knowing they are here then sitting outside for a few days.