Fredneck, some neat stuff on rebarreling an M95!!!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/1/01 5:40:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Fredneck, some neat stuff on rebarreling an M95!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fredneck, check these out.

They are talking about converting M95s to .30-40 Krag, ,45-70, and a few other cartridges.

One guy claims to have done the .45-70 one and it works fine, but limited to lighter loads.

I found another sight where a guy bought a sporterized M95 at a show redone to 7x57, supposed to be a popular conversion between the wars. Looked sharp with a full Mannlicher stock..

Maybe there's hope yet...I'll have to get another while they are so cheap, mine is too nice to cut up.

Hey, I think I even have .30-40 dies and brass I inherited from my wife's Grampa!

Happy Days just may be here!!!!

talk.shooters.com/room_18/Nov191999.cfm

www.angelfire.com/nt/cruf...5steyr.htm

the real fredneck
    (7/1/01 10:16:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Fredneck, some neat stuff on rebarreling an M95!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    polishshooter
    no kidding, sounds pretty interesting think the 7.62x54R would be a better choice than 30/40 Krag simply because of the ammo and component availability they also mentioned the 444 Marlin forgot about that one wonder if it would also feed 44 Mag AKA 444 Marlin Short? says you have to reduce rim dia on 45/70 guess you could do that and cut the brass to an even 2.0" OAL and call it the 458 Kielbasa Push-Pull

polishshooter
    (7/1/01 10:33:47 pm)
    Hey it ain't POLISH...but then the conversion may turn OUT that way, right?

As much as I got excited about it, maybe I'd be better off keeping the M95 stock and on display and plan on taking an M44 deer hunting someday instead...sure would be CHEAPER, even if lifting that darn bolt would slow me down so much....

the real fredneck
    (7/1/01 10:45:01 pm)
    only problem with a gun that you can't shoot is they make poor golf clubs and even leaving one original will be an investment in custom molds, dies, etc. total cost of conversion may not be much greater than setting up to make reduced cast loads and could be infinitely more practical if these are nice guns it's a shame to use them for lamps and other Martha type applications

polishshooter
    (7/2/01 10:37:49 pm)
    My 95 is absolutely the prettiest MilSurp rifle I own, even nicer than the MN 91 I got from Bob...

It is 99.9% rearsenal blue, when I got it it had an ugly paint job on the stock, stripped it off, it was a PRISTINE nice grained stock underneath. Couple of coats of True-oil irt looks like a Brand New stock, but with original markings. Has original sling too...they used to come with a bayonet too, but I don't have one yet.

Bore is LN.

There's another pretty one on GB now, at $50, but has a reserve, and BN price of $200. No Way!

BTW, I emailed the guy with the 95 converted to 7x57R. He said he has only functioned tested it, shot fine, planning to benchrest it soon. He paid $250 for it, it looks sharp.

It was 7x57R, not 7x57, though...popular in Europe, but not here, so may be hard to get components too...

I also invited him here, don't know if he will show, hope he does...

the real fredneck
    (7/3/01 7:15:35 am)
    Polishshooter
    Your M-95 sounds like way too nice to attempt a conversion on but seems there are several of them out there at dirt cheap prices and if ammo is that rare/expensive they will probably remain cheap or become "trade bait"

polishshooter
    (7/3/01 11:01:35 am)
    I even know where there's a sporterized 8x50R M95 for sale, with ammo, has been for years just waiting to pounce...

I will defintitely pick up some more when the time is right, at least need a long rifle, a 95/34, a stutzen, and at least one of them a Budapest to make the collection complete, but I'm still hung up on those darn Nagants, thought I'd be done with them after one or two...now up to 8 and still not made a dent in them!

the real fredneck
    (7/3/01 12:56:34 pm)
    yeah, I'm looking forward to Stockton for a chance to be properly educated on the history of M-N's and others (ie Eibar)

polishshooter
    (7/9/01 2:09:36 pm)
    Well, just got an e-mail from a barrel maker advising against 7.62x54 in the M95.

Claims the 8x56 runs like 44-46000 pressure, the Russian is 50+.

I asked him back if any other like the .30-40 are possible, waiting his reply.
    Patina is a custom finish that must be EARNED to be appreciated.

polishshooter
    (7/9/01 5:44:04 pm)
    Well, Dan got back to me. He thinks the .30-40 would work IF the extractor/bolt-face work with it.

If so, the price is $381.00 for a chrome moly barrel to my original contour, blued.

Whew...pretty stiff for a Brush Gun/plinker...

Mesen
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/9/01 6:41:10 pm)
    polishshooter
    what is the max pressure of M-95 receiver rated? would that $381 be barrel alone or would that be fitted and installed? also would that price be good for other "standard" calibers?
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

kdubaz
    (7/9/01 6:55:15 pm)
    Hey Polish -

Checked with my local favorite gunsmith, David Van Horn. He says around $286-$300, depending what has to be done to the bolt face, if anything, chambered for 30-40 Krag, installed, headspaced and shipped back to you. Shipping, extra of course. That's receiving a stripped barreled action from you.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

polishshooter
    (7/9/01 6:57:30 pm)
    Didn't ask, was in shock.

I believe it's fitted, ready to go.

I have no idea what the action is rated, but I do know they had a bad reputation when the Nazis tried to convert them to 8mm Mauser. Don't know for WHAT, maybe just for unreliability in feeding, I never heard of them blowing like the 8mm Carcanos.

Mesen
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/01 9:14:52 am)
    polishshooter
    was wondering about using 44/40 or 38/55 or one of those "big bore" Winchester calibers can't recall the numbers now
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

polishshooter
    (7/10/01 11:15:16 am)
    .351 WSL? or .401WSL?

I dunno, might be cheaper going the reloading route with the 8x56.

Let's see....$70 dies
    $15 case forming die (fron x54R)
    $200 bullets ($1.00/each)
    $15 powder
    $5 primers

If my Math is right, that's $305 for my first 200 rds. HMMmmmmm.....
    I like Browning on my Browning.

kdubaz
    (7/10/01 12:20:57 pm)
    Polish - you ignoring my post, or just didn't see it?

polishshooter
    (7/10/01 1:58:47 pm)
    Oops, Kdub, sorry! We posted at the same time almost, it was'nt there when I was composing mine at the same time, and I didn't go backwards...missed it.

That sounds a little better pricewise....but I wonder how the .30-40 works through the action...I got some rounds of Grampas around here in his old loading stuff, I'll check them if I can find them.

That would be just the ticket, .30 cal bullets are the most common, and cases are still available, aren't they? Hmm...I haven't seen factory loadings for the Krag in awhile, do they still load it?

kdubaz
    (7/10/01 3:59:27 pm)
    You know, Polish =

I don't remember if W-W still loads the .30 Krag still or not. Someone with a recent Olin cartridge brochure should be able to answer that - don't have one handy.

If the action is set up for rimmed cartridges (which it is), seems logical it will feed other rimmed cases of similar size. Rimless may be another matter.

Brass is still available for the .30-40, as are (is?) dies. As you say, bullets are no problem.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/01 5:33:28 pm)
    polishshooter
    was logged in as the other .5 earlier, I was talking about the newer Win "big bores" think they were .356 and .375 not positive but they were made to work through a 94 action otherwise the 444 Marlin could be the favorite. What is the rim diameter of the original round?

polishshooter
    (7/10/01 6:30:56 pm)
    Might be a problem...OAL of the .30 US case is 2.32", the 8x56 is 2.18".

Digging through Grampas stuff I only found ONE case, all the rest are .300 Savage...

The empty case gets hung on the top of the chamber, it's too long to make the ride up the feed ramp. If you "help it" a little, then it closes and extracts with no problem.

The rim diameter of the 8x56 is .545", the Krag is.53".

I'm going to try some .300 Savage cases through it, they are shorter, worth a try...

Hey, I think it's gonna work with the Krag! I found another case, and seated a bullet in each, and they worked through the action fine! The only critical thing is OAL of the cartridge, if the bullets are seated out any at all they may not fit, it's close, (action length.) But they fed and extracted fine!!!

The rimless didn't though, stuck in the chamber, extractor ignored it.

It's neat digging through Grampa's rusty old tackle box he kept his reloading stuff in, like hallowed ground. Got the set of .300 Savage dies in there I bought him about 5 years before he died, I'll have to tell that story someday!

Anybody know how those old "split" Lyman dies worked? He had a couple sets in there...I think one is for a .222...

And why he had some old .38 Shorts, and all those .30-30 cases I'll never know.

Edited by: polishshooter at: 7/10/01 7:53:54 pm

kdubaz
    (7/10/01 11:17:21 pm)
    Sounds like you're closing in on it polish. The chamber pressure on the .30 Krag can't run much more than the 8x56, considering the one locking lug on the Krag. If you load some of Hornady's lighter bullets, with the short ogive of their's, you can seat them fairly deep and gain the magazine clearance you need. A .30 barrel with a slow twist (1:11, 1:12) would certainly stabilize the lighter bullets and you gain some great velocity. The Hornady reloading manual shows the 130 gr (I use this one in my Savage Mod 340 bolt gun 30-30) at 2900 fps with moderate burn powders.