free speech dead?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by topper, Jan 22, 2010.

1. topper

topper New Member

When did free speech die? I did not write down the exact date that it died. It is a sad day in America when free speech is no longer correct. Do we just cower to every group or individual that wants an apology or money or both? The latest flap is the one about the bibical verses on guns. What? My way of thinking is that if someone don't like it, then don't look or cover it with tape or scratch it out. Why make such a big deal over it?
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Are you referring to a post here, an article, a news story, a web page, what?
  3. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

If you are refering to this in general, I am sad to inform you it died a long time ago. I don't have the specific date, but political correctness and garbage like that killed it. As for now, we are witnessing the death of common sense. As far as this forum--happily nothing died here!! Just my .02.
  4. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

It died so slowly nobody noticed, because nobody defended it enough. It died, frankly, of neglect.
    Actually, there's one forum I visit where you won't get banned no matter what you say. It's kind of semi-private though, the admin is picky about who gets on. Somebody has to vouch for you at least. It's got a leftward lean politically, but isn't a politically focused board. Luckily the conservatives have got a foothold enough to balance things. So far only one duel has physically resulted from the discussions there, and that was non-lethal.

More directly: yes, the issue you mention has disturbed me. I do value my ability to express myself, even when I'm not using it from politeness.