1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

'Fremont Arms' Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 2, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

joer003
    (1/3/03 11:04:17 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All fremont arms?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello I have just inheireted a few old rifles most of which I can find out about BUT I need some help on and old dbl barrel,dbl trigger fremont arms 12 ga. ser#85xx and sorry there is no model # Help!!!???
    Thanks
    Joe

Edited by: joer003 at: 1/3/03 11:15:55 pm

Packet
    (1/4/03 12:48:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: fremont arms?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I cant find anything on it but would guess its one of the hardware store brands. They were manufactured by various makers including, Syracuse, Cresent,Davenport, etc.

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/4/03 1:09:26 am)
    welcome to the TFF joer!! i'm sure someone will be along soon with some info ( or where to find info ).

joer003
    (1/4/03 1:14:43 am)
    Sorry forgot something
    It also has the old cap and ball style hammers but was definately made for cartridges

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/4/03 8:05:28 am)
    joer003, feel free to post this question in our M/L forum as well.

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/4/03 9:18:27 am)
    Hi Joer......welcome to TFF.

Can you give us some more information.....ALL of the writing on the shotgun, any proofmarks, are the barrels solid or twist steel?

joer003
    (1/5/03 12:46:13 am)
    OK here is everything that is written on the gun.
    On the sideplate below the breech it says FREMONT ARMS Co.
    Between the barrels it says BELGIUM FINE TWIST
    Under the barrels in front of the hand rest is the serial #52xx.
    On the bottom of the barrels under the breech (open)
    There is a diamond shape with "12
    g"
    Towards the chamber from that is a circle with 4 smaller circles linked together that says "E
    LG"
    Then there is also the matching 4 digit serial # 52xx under there also.
    If I can figure out how to post a pic I will.
    OK the best I can do on pics is at yahoo.com under joer003
    I know I know I am computer stupid. And proud of it...photos.yahoo.com/joer003

Edited by: joer003 at: 1/5/03 1:14:37 am

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/5/03 9:36:06 am)
    Joer....I tried your "yahoo" thing and there was no picture there, however, from your description, I don't really need it. The mystery is solved.

As Packet says, during the late 1800s and early 1900s, many American gun makers, Crescent, Norwich Arms, etc. made low-priced pistols, rifles, and shotguns marked with brand names for hardware stores, and gun mail-order houses. I would almost bet that Fremont Arms was a mail-order house.....or something along those lines.

In addition, these same hardware stores, and mail-order houses imported tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of low priced Belgian shotguns......these usually sold in the $7-15 range. They were typically outside-hammer, box-lock, with damascus (twist steel) barrels. The "ELG" is a Belgian proofmark. This is what you have.

Unfortunately, there are so many of these around that they have little collector value. Even a particularly fine example would only be worth around $100....and then only as a wall hanger, not a shooter.

These guns are NOT SAFE TO SHOOT. They were designed for low-pressure, blackpowder loads.

Sorry this isn't better news......just hang it above your fireplace and enjoy your new piece of interior decor.