French 7.5 MAS 49/56

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

velvetnsteel
    (2/9/02 6:51:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All French 7.5 MAS 49/56
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ASm looking for some info on this gun available from SOG on C & R status this month. What is the scoop on them from ya'll that shoots em? Thanks.

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/9/02 7:03:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: French 7.5 MAS 49/56
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mine is in 308 and works perfectly. However they are and you can quote me on this they are very loud.
    I have had complains for everyone near me when I shoot it.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Edited by: jeeper1 at: 2/11/02 8:56:21 pm

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 8:21:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: French 7.5 MAS 49/56
    The French took their own route when they designed the MAS, just like with their current Clarion assault rifle. Always gotta be different. Anyway, the MAS is a heavy, thick receiver, with a strong bolt system - well overdesigned for the pressures anticipated from the 7.5 French cartridge. The several 7.5 mm and .308 versions I have owned and fired have been positive, well performing rifles.

The 7.5mm cartridge is powerful, and in the 49/56 carbine, a noisy round. The one big drawback to this rifle - the ammo is expensive and getting harder to find.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

velvetnsteel
    (2/11/02 7:33:09 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: French 7.5 MAS 49/56 - .308
    Thanks guys for the info. I understand about the ammo. I guess I messed up when I DID NOT GET ONE IN .308!!

I heard sometime back about using 6.5 X 55 brass to make a hand load for these using .308 bullets. Anybody done this?

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/11/02 12:26:45 pm)
    BiSL is one of the few that I have ever heard say anything good about the Century whizzo conversions to .308. I have never owned or fired one myself, so my info is only hearsay.

However, I do have a MAS 36 .308 conversion, and the work is slopily done. I loaded some 7.62x51 CETME and fired in it with satisfactory results as far as a plinker.

I have never purchased or fired and surplus 7.5 ammo, I have loaded and fired several hundred rounds in 2 MAS 49/56's that I own now. This is probably the easiest ammo conversion that can be done. I recommend Lapua 6.5x55 brass. Norma brass is expensive, and I don't find it to perform or out last Lapua enough to justify the additional cost. Remington and winchester, has a slightly smller head dimention, and will work, but not with the best results.

Lee sells an inexpensive die with a long tapered expander that will size the Swede to French in one step. Initially, the only extra step to normal loading is trimming the case to 54mm. The bullet used is standard .308. I use 147 gn fmjbt (M80) US mil surplus. These rifles are fun to shoot, very accurate an reliable.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/11/02 2:06:11 pm)
    I have heard a lot of complaints about the .308 conversions also - I guess I was lucky! Some of them were actually rebarreled to .308, and those seem to work better than the ones converted with the chamber inserts. The chamber insert versions tend to start fouling and not ejecting the cartridge.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

velvetnsteel
    (2/11/02 9:40:22 pm)
    Just saw some postings on Gunbroker for new ammo made from relodable brass for the 7.5. Maybe ammo will become available with more of these surplus guns being sold.

jonkx
    (2/13/02 10:31:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del RE: MAS ammo
    I have shot two types of 7.5 surplus. The cupro nickel French stuff is A-1 for reliablity and fairly accurate. Syrian stuff misfired every other round, really annoying in a semi auto. INDEP makes new manufacture ammo, or as said, 6.5X55 with a standard .308 bullet works great too.

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/14/02 8:51:14 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: RE: MAS ammo
    Not specifically 7.5 French, but some of the Swiss Rifle shooters on another board are discussing some problems with Indep ammo. Some French 7.5's have been found in Swiss 7.5 boxes, as well as a few rounds with no powder which leaves the bullet in the barrel, (you know what that means)! I have fired a good bit of Indep with no problems myself, however those Swiss guys are a very reliable bunch. Some are concerned to the point that they are weighing new Indep ammo to look for gross differences in weight. Another concern is that there may be double loading as well.

FWIW, be careful!

Gunruner
    (2/22/02 6:47:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: RE: MAS ammo
    I own a MAS 49/56, MAS 36, and MAS 36-51. I reload for them all. I use 6.5X55 swede Remington brass, 150gr Remington SPCL bullets and Winchester LRP. I get the bullets and brass in bulk from Midway USA. I use Lee dies and trim after reforming to 54mm. I've never had a failure to feed or function and never a slam fire. I use IMR4064 powder @44gr. this isn't a max load and is around 2500-2600fps in the short semi-auto barrel and slightly faster in the bolt guns. Accuracy is as good as I can shoot with military sites. One place you may have a problem is I seat the bullets way before the crimp groove to maintain the correct OAL. I use a 7.62X54R factory crimp die to make a new cannelure and crimp. It is just as inexpensive to load for the 7.5 MAS as it is for the 7.62X51 NATO. Excellent rifles but I do not like the NO Safety on the bolt guns.......Mike