French Flintlock Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jimmy S, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

Any thoughts on the value of this little flintlock? My grandpa bought it for the hefty sum of $25 back in the early 40's. The tag that's on it was there when he bought it and is the only info I have on the gun.

Thanks,
    Jimmy

[​IMG]
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Wow, Jimmy....you sure do have some neat guns. First that Winnie 1887, and now this.

It appears to be correct for that timeframe......can you please give us all of the writing on the gun? And closeup photos of the proofmarks? That might help us identify the maker......and the timeframe when it was made.
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

You know, that looks like a "correct" and "complete" St. Eteinne pistol, except for the front sight...it's DEFINITELY French, probably .69 caliber smoothbore...if it had a little more brass on it I would be more sure.

Does it have "AN(any Roman numerals)" on it anywhere?

THAT one just might be worth the trip to Union City TN, to have it appraised by Dixie Gunworks...

....Or else a trip to Friendship, Indiana the first two weeks of June for the NMLRA "Spring Shoot..." Just about EVERY muzzleloading expert in the world is there SOMETIME during those two weeks, and the NMLRA museum is open the whole time....

And I'll give you $50 for it right now! DOUBLE your Grandpa's money!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :p

And looking at the tag, I see he took advantage of ANOTHER unsuspecting Polak! So if you sold it to ME it would be like "reparations" for the "Polish Oppressed!" :D :D
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  4. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

Thanks guys-

There is more brass on the otherside of the gun, the screw that holds down the flint is not correct, it was missing when my grandpa gave the gun to me.

I will try to get some pictures of the proof marks on the gun and any other markings, I think it has 1809 stamped in it but I can't remember if it has any roman numerals on it.

Jimmy
  5. polishshooter

And is the barrel round all the way, or is it octagon partway to the back? I can't tell from the pic...
  6. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

More pictures.....

Like I said previousley the flint hold down screw is not original and it really shows in the close up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. polishshooter

Yeah, that's a St. Etienne. That is the arsenal that made most of the Charleville muskets and pistols for the French Army. But I've only seen pictures of the martial pistols, they have brass on the butt, and the stock is longer and ends in a brass nosecap that usually loops over the barrel.

And while 1809 is Napoleonic era, MOST french martial arms from that period had "ANIX" or "ANXII" or the like stamped on it, meaning "Year of Napoleon (AN) and the year of his reign (in Roman numerals)"

SO, my guess is this is a different model St. Etienne pistol made for PRIVATE sale, unless it was altered. (Somebody COULD have shortened the stock and removed the brass, I guess...)

I am NOT an expert on French arms, I just have a couple of books :cool:

Maybe somebody who speaks French, or knows French guns can translate the markings better, but I'd guess you have a pretty decent example of a typical Napoleonic era flintlock pistol!

As per worth, I'd be making a WAG it would be somewhere between $800 and $1200. But that is JUST a WAG, I think it would be worth your while to get it appraised by someone who KNOWS, like Dixie.

You MIGHT be able to email them the pictures and they might make a stab at it that way... www.dixiegunworks.com
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2006