Fried cucumber?

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Crpdeth, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

This was a first for me... You do them just like fried squash or green tomato and Lord knows that this time of year we need a new idea to get rid of the over abundance. :D

I used corn meal on these with some salt and pepper and a little cayenne mixed in... Fry them up until golden brown and tear 'em up. Ranch dressing is pretty good for dipping them in.

Man, I'm about to hurt myself on these things. :D

Crpdeth

Attached Files:

2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I'd have to say, I absolutly never heard of fried cucumbers!
    But heck, it does make sence, (all other things fried) and will have to definatly try that, especially with a garden full of them.
    Thanks for the post Crpdeth! (nice picture BTW)!
  3. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

We have deep fried, breaded dill pickles up here at all the county fairs and events, I'm a fan. :D
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Makes sense and should be very tasty. :)

We have fried Zucchini and Fried Summer Squash, why not cucumbers, as they are all in the same family of veggies.
  5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

It has been decades since I last had fried cucumbers and I am now getting the urge to have some. Thanks for rekindling a memory.
  6. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

I absolutely hate raw cucumber! The smell, and the horrible taste! Years ago my step-mother talked me into trying a fried cucumber. I reluctantly did and loved it. Your spread looks VERY appetizing.
  7. doug66

doug66 New Member

If it's deep fat fried and rolled in cornmeal, it's gotta be good.
  8. jason0025

jason0025 New Member

I love everything fried but I haven't heard of this one yet. Gonna try it soon. Thanks
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

they are starting to do fried dill pickles here have not tried yet
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

I don't know where u live but those look like awfully large cucumbers????????
  11. Zane71464

I did get a chance to try them this summer and ate alot of them!
  12. Zane71464

If your out and about and smell that "smell" and there isnt any cucumbers growing around, best be on the lookout for a copperhead snake! That is the smell they "they give off"...as a defence type of thing. (i reckon)
  13. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

A lot of veggies make excellent "sponges" for hot oil and bread crumbs :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  14. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Another note...

I just received a turkey fryer as an early Christmas present. I also received a small recipe book entitled "103 Uses For Your Turkey Fryer". It has a lot of interesting recipes including one for fried ice cream. That'll be one I'll spring on the grandchildren for sure.
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Be careful a lot of people have been burned by those things
  16. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Thanks Beth. I know they can be dangerous. I used it to cook a turkey last weekend and realized that if you follow the directions (and stay sober) the risk is significantly reduced.

And in addition to following all of the safety precautions I learned that 1) frying turkey is not a group sport, 2) keep the area clear of children and pets and perhaps most importantly 3) keep the area free of drunks. One of the safety precaution is to turn off the fire when inserting or removing the turkey. That way any oil spillage will probably not catch fire. I had one drunk relative shouting, "Don't turn off the fire. We're livin' on the edge out here."

Uh-huh. You go live on your own edge buddy :eek:
  17. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i know some people that have done it and they say the turkey is sooooooo good and that's my favorite but i have never had it so take a bite for me please
  18. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Beth, I cooked two turkeys last weekend for our holiday party. One was cooked on the rotisserie and the other deep fried. Both were injected with marinade; garlic butter for the rotisserie one and cajun butter for the other. Both turkeys turned out perfectly done and were very moist. However people were climbing all over one another to get to the platter full of the fried turkey. It was a first for me and it was the best turkey I've ever eaten. I even ate the wings the next day which is something that I had never done with turkey. If you ever get the chance to try it you should do so.

Regarding me having a bite for you...sorry, no can do. It's all gone :rolleyes:

John
  19. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

hmmmmmmmmmm sounds good
  20. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

Wow! Fried cukes. Never thought of it. I've had fried pickles. They were great. Thanks.