Friendliest State

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Radioman909, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Radioman909

Radioman909 New Member

What is the friendliest state towards firearms and their owners? As a resident of the Left Coast I can tell you with all truth it's not us! To be the friendliest state they must allow CCW's, open carry, right to defend ones self or castle doctrine, they must not place a limit on the number of firearms one can purchase (1 per month in California), they should not limit the number of rounds in a magazine (10 in California) or require a thumb print to purchase ammo.

Tell us what you think the friendliest firearms state really is and why?
  2. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Probably Aridzona.

While we were there last month, we saw numerous people walking around with pistola on their hip. It wasn't a big deal.

We did go into a restaurant that had a sign saying no "open carry please".
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I do believe the further out you get in the sticks, the less all laws are enforced in every state.
  4. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I would also say Arizona, but Ohio allows CCW, open carry, has the castle doctrine, no limit on the number of firearms that I'm aware of, but they do have a limit on mag capacity. That's four out of five, but probably not for long. New laws are being proposed now.
  5. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

AZ or AK

My vote would be for Alaska.
    If you decide to get a CCW permit, you don't have to fill out the paperwork every time you want to purchase a new weapon.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

AK by far; if you don't own a gun up there, then somethin just aint right.
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

In Alaska, come late April on, most people have rifle or sidearm with them for bear protection, at least out in the rural areas. Common to see people walk into rural schools, or anywhere with guns on belt; nobody even gives a second look. When bear are walking the road, kids take guns to school for at bus stop, then are put in wall locker for guns until they go home. Hasn't been a murder in our town in almost 30 years.

In urban areas, I think it's different but nowhere's like lower 48.
  8. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

We lived in Fairbanks for five years back in the later 60's -

I got in the habit of wearing my .44 mag on my hip most of the time; no one thought anything about it -
    They did require that you check your guns at the door of a bar, though -
    Not an entirely bad idea, IMHO.

I have not seen that much freedom since leaving AK
  9. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Tennessee has to be pretty high on this list. We have "shall issue" carry license (open or concealed) with recirprocity with 40some other states, no firearm purchase limit, no ammo purchase limit or thumbprint requirement, and no magazine capacity limit. Guns in bars are legal, and they have been working on legislation to allow guns on college campusus. It looks like that will pass. We also have a "Castle Doctrine," with a "No Retreat" clause. I'm pretty happy here as far as my 2nd amendment rights are concerned, but then again, it is a southern "red state."
  10. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

These are the reasons I moved to TN. [TN gun laws]
    Years ago, living in TX and NM, all of us [it seemed like]
    rode around with a rifle rack in the window of our pickup,
    and at least one rifle on it. It was as normal as breathing air.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'm gona go with AK, and I'll put TN in second place. Here in TX we have come a long ways in the past few years, but only because it was illegal to have a fire arm in your vehicle just a few years ago. Remember Luby's in Killine ?
  12. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I remember signs in bars that said no firearms where alcohol is served, '50s-'60s.
    But all the pickups outside had a rifle hangin' in the window.
    TX was really lax on guns when I was a kid, then they 'progressed'.........
    It had to be from the non-Texans moving in. :)
  13. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I believe the best state for firearms is New Hampshire where they have NO GUN LAWS WHATSOEVER! They don't even issue CCWs because it is legal to carry a concealed weapon.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Yeah, I remember those days too. I sure am glad to see them comming back. I won't be satisfied though untill I see kids carring their squirrel guns to school, so they can ride the buss to their friends house, and squirrel hunt for the weekend.
  15. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

This thread just triggered my brain !
    When I was about 5yrs old I remember the back seat of
    my Grandmas car had a blanket always laying on it.
    Underneath, was a rifle.
    I last saw it when I was about 13 or 14 yrs old. I think she quit driving around then.
    It was always there, each car she had. She said it was for 'bears'. In Galveston !
  16. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

In many ways, Montana is carrying the Second Amendment banner and torch, especially when it comes to exercising not only our rights, but State's Rights thereunder.

I would, perhaps, think a grouping of Alaska, Arizona and Montana would be pretty close to answering your question.
  17. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Didn't Wyomimg just pass a NO license required concealed carry law?
  18. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

The problem with no CCL comes in to play when you visit other states that do require them. If your state doesn't issue a carry permit, how can another state have reciprocity with them?
  19. al45lc

al45lc New Member

This was my point on the thread about 'no license' carry. Apparently, they still will issue a permit for that purpose.
    But how much friendlier can it get than 'no license' concealed carry?
    Then again, it IS Wyoming, nice place, but very few people, so does it count?
  20. Bodyguard

Bodyguard New Member

Several years ago, while looking for a way out of New Jersey and having been crowded out of Florida after quite a few years of living there, I researched where to live with two prime things in mind.......the most gun friendly state with great lakes for water skiing. Tennessee and Kentucky both fit my requirements quite well but I've got relatives in Ky. All the op's requirements are met plus some, the various different gun sights on the internet rate it among the best and we live within 30 miles of three of the best skiing lakes I've ever skied. So now that I've retired I just have a ball skiing all the time and I can shoot in my own back yard range. The only drawback is that the Army Corps of Engineers controls the lakes and there are limits on firearms except during hunting season. Go figure......can't have everything!:)

[​IMG]