Friends Ruger LC9 problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gunguy25, Mar 3, 2012.

1. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

Hey guys my friend and i was shooting our rugers today he has a Lc9 and he loaded up a mag put it in and racked the slide got ready to shoot and trigger wouldnt move it would move a little but not enough to shoot. The safety wasnt on we tried with a snap cap in the gun same result we field striped the gun and couldnt see anything out of place. has anyone else experience this? what could be the problem? Thanks guys
  2. ka64

ka64 Active Member

3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Magazine safety is not releasing the trigger to pull it.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  4. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

thanks guys your the best
  5. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

how would one fix it if at all?
  6. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

With that thought in mind, did you try using more than one magazine by any chance?
  7. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

he only has one mag
  8. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Too bad as another mag would let you trouble shoot the angle of a magazine caused problem.
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

In order to see whats going on you'll have to seperate the upper frame from the grip frame. this is done by driving out the 2 plastic 3/16th pins in the front and back. Then also remove the bottom mainspring cover and removing the mainspring tension. The the two come apart. Watch the trigger bar spring b/c they often come off the trigger bar and snap your finger and it just plain hurts. Go here http://shopruger.com/partsSelector-LC9.html
    Number 11 is the magazine safety. Its a flat piece that slides forward when the mag is inserted. the safety engages a notch in the hammer to lock it when a mag is not present. Pushing a mag in forces the plate forward and out of the notch. You can see it up at the top of the mag well. Try pushing it forward with a screw driver and see if it releases. If it does then its not fully moving out and needs to be releaved on the inside cutout at the front.
    The hardes part is getting them back together bc the hammer stop that is pinned in the grip frame is a bugger to get back into place. the key is to use a long small punch. Drop the upper down into the grip frame half way, from the rear push the hammer stop forward, push the upper down until it contacts the punch then slide the punch out and push the upper the rest of the way down. I've gotten good at it but it does take some practice. Just a warning, ruger will not cover it under warrenty if you send the gun to them in a bag;) try a different mag if you can first. They are a simple design but takes a systematic approach to getting them back together.
  10. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

thanks helix
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Aren't magazine safeties wonderful!

Just when you will need the gun the most, the stupid mag safety will decide not to work. If possible I disable mine. Stupid California bought into the mag safety thing and now all semi-auto pistols must have them to be sold by a dealer here in CA. DUMB!

LDBennett
  12. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I totally agree. Its one more thing to break, one more thing to add weight to the trigger on some models. All because someone long ago though a gun was unloaded with the mag out of it. Just another feature bc of someone elses stupidity.. :rolleyes:
  13. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

yes I agree also, I just got a sr9c and love the gun but I dont care for the mag disconnect and loaded chamber indicator.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  14. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

thanks guys
  15. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

you guys are great
  16. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

Update, My friend put a snap cap in the gun and push the mag disconnect down with a pencil and got the trigger to work, and now it works fine , the only thing i could think of is maybe it was dirty there in that part or just got jammed up shooting some how.
  17. BIGDOG$$

BIGDOG$$ New Member

can the mag disconect be REMOVED or DISABLED so that the gun WILL fire the last round in the chamber when the Mag. is out ????
  18. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Yes they can but since it is a safety device from the manufacturer, in all fairness to the manufacturer I wont divulge.