Frist Gen Universal M1 Carbine Value?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kncrsr5r, Nov 21, 2008.

1. kncrsr5r

kncrsr5r New Member

Whats the Value of my Univeral M1 Carbine?
    Serial #20xxx

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. kncrsr5r

kncrsr5r New Member

What Bayonet would fits this Rifle?
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Low ser #, should have been assembled from mostly GI parts.
    One of the better ones
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

M 4 bayonet.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't think so. While Plainfield, Iver Johnson and Springfield Armory (under the name Rock Island Armory) used new-cast receivers and GI parts to build mil-spec guns, I am pretty sure that Universal was completely different. Kinda like the Ballerina Molester, from Argentina. Looks a lot like a 1911, and uses 1911 magazine, but that's all. Universal is like that.

Leastways, that's my understanding.
  6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Alpo is incorrect.
    Early Universals used G.I. parts. Even the last ones used some G.I. parts.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, after I made my post I read the "generation breakdown" on the other forum. Was not aware of any of that.
  8. ehughes

ehughes New Member

Are you selling it?????????
  9. kncrsr5r

kncrsr5r New Member

Trying to determine it's value at this time.
  10. ehughes

ehughes New Member

beautiful gun, love the carbine
  11. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I agree with Bill.

The "Universals" were the first of the "civilian" carbines made and were made up from surplus G.I. parts.....and are considered the "best" of the "civvy carbines".

While they'll probably never be highly collectable as G.I carbines are, they're real nice "shooters".

Here's the latest Blue Book on them (% = amount of original finish left):

1000 Military:

98% = $265
    95% = $235
    90% = $200
    80% = $180

Just little personal note (hope you don't mind).....I'd call a "keeper". If you like carbines, you won't find a better "shooter" outside of a genuine G.I. carbine and they sell for BIG BUCK$ nowadays.
  12. kncrsr5r

kncrsr5r New Member

Its definately a keeper!!! Too much sentimental value in it. Thanks for the information!
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  13. mag318

mag318 New Member

I paid $250 for a mint early Universal M1 carbine. Mine has a USGI bolt, oprod and band w/lug cut off. The barrel is their own microgroove version. These old ones are nice carbines and I'd wager yours would bring $300/350 now.

Attached Files:

14. younggun28

younggun28 New Member

15. Stays_Crunchy

Stays_Crunchy New Member

I bought a real nice early production (s/n 24XXX) Universal M1 Carbine just a few days ago.

Depending on who you ask, some folks will tell you that it ain't worth it's weight in scrap metal and others will say that it's a fine gun and a good shooter. Me? I tend to fall into the latter category. I wasn't quite ready to plunk down the $600+ and wait 8-10 weeks to get a "real" one from the CMP that's been worked over and refinished a dozen times over the past 60 years, and most pawn shops get at least $800+ on the rare occasion they even have one, so the Universal suits me just fine.

From what I understand (and again, I'm no expert) the early Universals were basically the same thing as the USGI ones, even going so far as having some parts interchangability. As the years wore on however, the quality of the Universals suffered to the point where they're downright dangerous to shoot.

Anyway, early ones like yours and mine seem to go anywhere from $200 all the way up to $600. I paid $350 for mine and it's in very nice shape. If I were to sell mine (which I'm not) I'd probably start out asking $450 and take $400.