frist hand gun?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by s13, Aug 31, 2010.

1. s13

s13 New Member

Hey everyone i am planning on buying my first hand gun and i dont know which one i should start off with but i want maybe a glock 27. Also i have a question about the hsc how much would it cost to take the test? I live in california.
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i would rent a few different guns at a local range before i bought something you might not like or couldn't handle yes the glock is a good choice but a model 27 ? that size in that caliber isn't in my opinion a good place to start. a few basic questions what do you want the gun for, home protection , to carry , range shooting , plinking , etc..... are you considering a gun safety course ? for years i would steer newbies towards a 22 and if they insisted on something bigger a nice 4inch k frame 38 such as the model 10 s&w
  3. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

If you get a Glock 27, I would suggest getting the Pierce (or similar) finger groove extension for the magazine. I carry an issue 27 on duty, and have one of my own. Without the extension, the are harder to handle due to their small size.
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

my suggestion wouldnt necessarily be a 22. if you have proper instruction, and do proper practice you could learn on a glock 27. the 40 caliber, in a small gun does kick a little. i would suggest a the model 26 for several reason. the caliber is easier to shoot. and it's less expensive. and if you ever move from california you can get a factory 33 round stick magazine for it.
  5. GunsForSale.com

GunsForSale.com New Member

A handgun is a tool like any other, so I humbly suggest you identify what job you need done before deciding on the tool to buy. For example, a gun for shooting and having fun with is not always the same as the gun you need for home defense, concealed carry, competition, hunting, etc.

The Glock 27 is a compact pistol chambered for the .40 S&W. As a concealed carry gun, or back-up gun in law enforcement, it is a reasonable choice. It is not my first (second, third, fourth, etc.) choice for teaching someone to shoot, for plinking, or anything else. For me, the G27 is a fairly specialized pistol.

The G27 may be exactly what you need and want. But, guns are expensive paperweights when you buy something you later discover you didn't need. I suggest identifying your need/want, and then finding a friend or range where you can shoot guns that meet that need.

Heck, if you ask me, figuring out what you want it half the fun!
  6. zb338

zb338 New Member

Get a .22 rimfire anyone will do. You will probably shoot best with a
    Ruger semi-auto. Buy the gun and a brick of 500 rounds of ammo
    and have at it.

Zeke
  7. s13

s13 New Member

For home security and for range shooting. Anyone have any information about the handgun safety certificate? In cali
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

for home security and range work there's nothing wrong with the glock 27, but i would suggest a glock 23 or glock 19 instead. full size is easier to shoot
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

If I were buying a Glock, I'd go for the model 23 if you had to have .40 S&W. I believe the 23 is a compact. Little bigger, might be a little easier to handle vs. a sub-compact.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

a nice .22 pistol will start you and many of your friends in the right direction for a good long time , once you have that go bigger if you wish

but the .22 will always have a place , they are cheap , fun and can be used with the younger members of your family and friends
  11. plowhorse

plowhorse New Member

S13 the price is usaually around 25 dollars. As far as the glock, I have never shot one. my first handgun was a cap and ball 44. not very good for home defense, but a fun piece to shoot. Start off with something that fits your hand well. If you can find a range that rents handguns , kind of hard in this state, try as many different ones as you can. have fun
  12. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i know you will do what ever you want to do but a 27 glock is not a first time gun.i own one and i shoot everything in handgun from 22 to 45/70 bfr.recoil in the 27 is very sharp,it will take many many hundreds of rounds to ever get really proficient with it.to be good with a handgun you must have many things going for you.to start,sight control (where to put the sight)trigger control (how to squeeze trigger the same every time)gripping pistol the same every time.recoil control and not flinching right before trigger release.i really should of began with safety(always first)look,a 22 was suggested to you.i feel everyone who begins shooting should begin with 22s.you can shoot a 500 round box of 22s for around twenty bucks.500 40 cals may cost as much as 300.00 or better.the same money in 22s is 5,000 rounds.which do you think you will be a better shot with practice?your choice NUFF SAID old semperfi
  13. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I agree with all that old semperfi said.
    Get you a good .22 (cheap to shoot) get familiar with it, and good with it, and then you can move up to whatever cal. your looking to get. And even with home defence, a good Ruger Single Six will shoot either .22lr and .22Mags. Cheap to shoot and get familiar with, and good practice as well. JMO
  14. tribalsoldier

tribalsoldier New Member

There is a lot of useful information already posted here so I will try not to be repetitive. As to the issue of home defense choices, buy a reliable 12ga. shotgun. You should only consider a pistol for home defense if you are proficient with it. If you are a new(inexperienced) pistol shooter there is no muscle memory in your shooting. During a defensive situation you will not have time to think about where your thumb is or whether or not you should use two hands or one or if you are pressing the trigger correctly. In a fast moving, adrenaline fueled, fight or flight situation you will have to rely on muscle memory that you can only learn from practical practice and proper training. The best advice I can give you is to buy a shotgun for home defense, then go to a reputable gunshop and try as many different handguns as you can. Make sure it fits you and your hand, regardless of make or caliber. After finding "the one" find a good place to shoot and someone who knows what they are doing to help you learn. There are a lot of training videos available as well. I like the Combat Focus Shooting series that the NRA is offering right now. It deals with a lot of different scenarios that you need to know and practice for. By the way, my first handgun was a Sig P220 .45.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The first handgun i ever bought was a clone of the venerable Browning Hi Power. The KBI BHP I had was a very accurate weapon and i wish i still had it:(
  16. s13

s13 New Member

What about a Walther p22??
  17. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

The walther is a nice gun and very popular here in Australia

It comes with a 5 and 7 round mag option ( our limit here ) and differing attachments are available

I've only known one person who had a issue with theres and it was replaced in a week or so with a brand new one

some folks dont like the plastic guns , but they have been around a few years now and some have had a real heavy time of it as club guns etc and they all hold up very well

consider a club gun here may be used by 10 different people a day every day for a period of years

thats 20 lifetimes of average private owner ship in 1 year ..

i think a walther P22 is a very good start , and here they seem to hold there value a bit better than most as well
  18. Sandman

Sandman New Member

:mad:Glad I don't live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia!
  19. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the walther would be a good choice. cheap to shoot and fun.... you can get alot of practice with one of those for very little money spent in ammo. now if you're panning on using it for home defense as well , yes it will work if you consider shot placement a priority. some will tell you a 22 isn't big enough for a defensive handgun and while it wouldn't be anyone who knows firearms first choice it'll work in a pinch. keep in mind more people have been killed with a 22 than any other caliber. consider it a starter and get good with it once you're comfortable move up to something bigger.
  20. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

Maybe a Walther .32 or a Bersa Thunder .380?