The Firearms Forum banner

Frog Lube

50K views 85 replies 41 participants last post by  shootbrownelk 
#1 ·
Shooter45 sent me a bottle of some of this newfangled Frog Lube to test out and see what I thought.

Well in a couple words.. I Like It! Alot..

Ill start with the fact that its all natual and completely green. Not just the color either... It is neon green tho. ;)

The thing I like the most about it is its a very economical lube to use. It doesnt take much at all to do a whole gun because it spreads quite well.

It is effective at breaking down carbon fouling too. One of the firearms I used it on was Becks filthly little marlin 60. Which had about 500 rounds thru it since its last breakdown. I just used a couple dabs of frog here and there and a nylon brush. Within 5 minutes I had everything wiped off and spotless. And not really any need to put another dab on the parts for reassembly because the film leftover after wipedown is quite slick.

Another real bonus in my mind is the smell. Its almost a minty smell (like a not so stout ben gay smell) which is a welcome relief from strong smelling solvents and lubes normally associated with firearms cleaning and maintenance.

As far as a bore cleaner goes it does all but dissolve copper. Powder residue and carbon buildup are removed easily under frog lube. and again no need to lube the bore afterwards because its already lubed.

Ill be ongoing with this review here. I have only had it for 2 days but so far it looks like a good stand alone cleaner/lubricant for general firearms maintenance. Coupled with a good copper solvent and some SBGO and in my mind youd have an ultimate firearms care package.

Sam.. Where can I buy some more? After I do all my guns this bottle will be all but exhausted.. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
it works really good for the ar platform it does'nt evaporate with the heat oh and i use it on my cattle gate locks it won't wash away and won't freeze where the key goes into the lock in the snow. worked really good last year in wyoming in the snow and mud in my gun. i will never use anything else again. i wonder because u could eat it if it is good for a private lube if u know what i mean. if anyones tryed that let us know and if u told her it was frog lube

#8 ·
On the copper residue side there has been some discussion within the FrogLube side that yes it will eliminate the copper residue. HOWEVER the way that it works is you need to completely submerge the barrel in a hot bath of the FrogLube for a pretty good length of time to get the material done right. More information on that will be coming forth within the next week or so since we are meeting out at SHOT Show tomorrow and Wednesday and we are bringing out a new degreaser as well.

#11 ·
Clean with frog lube and oil with SBGO. I am using the 2 together. The SBGO gets put on moving parts.

But the use of both together is probably ultimate firearms maintenance overkill. Either would do well alone.

I love my SBGO, but Frog Lube is another alternative and it smells better.

#12 ·
I haven't used SBGO...hint hint Shooter still need my sample to see for myself...but for about 8-9 months now I have only used FrogLube (which is why I sell it) as my cleaner and lubrication on all my weapons from bolt, lever, semi-automatic rifles and shotguns and the occasional full auto weapon that a few buddies have.

I also have another coating that I use made by a company called Dyna-Tek (I sell their products as well) which when I shoot a weapon I don't have to do diddly squat to the barrel. Any and all fouling seems to get blown clear of the weapon when fired. Dyna-Tek is the only coatings that are applied to Knight Rifles (muzzle loaders) before they ship to the store or customers. They do not apply oils to their weapons.

#14 ·
I just got back home last night and my test bottle was just waiting for me. I just cleaned up the daily carry piece and lubed the rails and covered the entire surface of the barrel.

My first test is the lint resistance test. So far I have noticed a complete elimination of the Glock scrunch you get from the recoil spring rubbing against the barrel. I used the tiniest amount and it slicks up real nice.

So far it seems like its pretty water resistant and the smell is very welcome. If it works out I will use it as a replacement to grease. Time and testing will only tell.

#15 ·
You da man for the job Boris. I think youve done a great job of proving SBGO for us all.

Reactions: shootbrownelk
#16 ·
Glad that's a sticky now. I'll want to come back to this. Can it be shipped to the UK?

#17 ·
You da man for the job Boris. I think youve done a great job of proving SBGO for us all.
So far it's good. Repels water real nice too.

When I get home from work the Walther P22 is getting degreased and redone with frog lube. I will shoot the snot out of it this weekend and get back. That gun hates any kind of lube without gathering dirt and gunk it also hates dry lubes so frog juice might be the answer. I hope lol....

#18 ·
I took some degreaser to the Walther P22 tonight and did like JLA did and scrubbed the entire gun with a tooth brush. I was amazed at how much more carbon was lifted off what looked like a completely clean gun. I wiped it down after the brushing and relubed. Then I did the heat thing a little backwards and put a hair drier to it and melted it to an oil like consistency so all the internals could get lubed. It worked perfect and after it cooled down she was slick as snot. That gun is 90% crappy MIM parts that do not have very smooth interaction with one another. Frog lube helped make it feel more like a real gun lol.

I wiped off the excess after it cooled down and rubbed it into the exterior metal parts. The gun is more smooth than I can ever remember. This gun has never liked any lube product. We will see how this non oil lube works. So far the Glock likes it. I been carrying the P22 all night when we went out, yeah I'm that brave, I carried my P22, but it ain't the gun a criminal will be worried about, wife has the G19 anyway and shoots as good as the guys I work with so I felt plenty safe. Lint does not seem to be an issue. It does not collect it any worse than any oil and looks like it gathers it less as of now. As time passes I will report back.

#21 ·
How bout a link here to the order form for frog lube Coach?

I really like this stuff and that would make it easy to find when we need more.

#22 ·
I did it again. Tore down the 1895 Nagant and blasted it with powder blast. Looked clean, until I put a simple tooth brush that isn't even stiff with frog lube on it and just lightly scrubbed. What ever it was that made it dirty went away. I put some heat to it and melted it into every crevice. Let it cool while eating and just got done putting it back together. No matter how much I rubbed it just would not all come off.

Result is a nice dark exterior looking finish and the unreal double action on this design is smooooth now, if you could use that word and 1895 Nagant in the same sentence. The SA pull is significantly more smooth.

Good stuff, cannt wait to get it dirty....

#23 ·
no kiddn, The 1895 nagant revolver is about as close as a DA revolver comes to a turd as you can get. And that funky lookin nail for a firing pin and the overseated ammo. Hilarious!

#25 ·
no kiddn, The 1895 nagant revolver is about as close as a DA revolver comes to a turd as you can get. And that funky lookin nail for a firing pin and the overseated ammo. Hilarious!
It is a turd. However when I shoot 32 longs with 98 grain LRN loads it is accurate enough for me to bag rabbits out to 30 yards. The SA pull is indeed heavy but is lighter and easier to shoot than a smith M&P with its sigma trigger. The SA on mine is only 7#. Might sound heavy but the first real Colt 1911 I bought had the same weight trigger on it.

I just got a bunch of Russian 86 grain FMJ ammo that hits 1300 fps. These loads are what the original loads were like. Same FPE as a 9x19mm 147 grain load and you know you are shooting real ammo when you touch it off. With the proper ammo like I got now it is a viable military cartridge and plants little critters in my bag real nice.

Even DA I can put a full cylinder COM at 15 yards. I even carry it from time to time when I feel froggy, no pun intended.

#26 ·
JLA is onto something here. I just did the P32 this morning. I took her down to the pieces and degreased everything. The gun was spotless clean before I degreased. I took a tooth brush and scrubbed it into the parkd finish and put some heat to it. This stuff pulls the carbon build up on a microscopic level. I got so much carbon out of the what I believed clean finish it was unreal. I set it outside in the cold to let the lube set in and wiped off the extra. Put it back together and she is slick.

I love this stuff. However I will not do any other guns right now because I don't think it will do any better than SBGO does on the shotguns and XD9. I know it will work great on them it's just that I love my standard lube that much.

I will concentrate my testing on guns I carry that I sweat on and do not desire petroleum products so close to my skin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.