The Firearms Forum banner

Frog Lube

50K views 85 replies 41 participants last post by  shootbrownelk 
#1 ·
Shooter45 sent me a bottle of some of this newfangled Frog Lube to test out and see what I thought.

Well in a couple words.. I Like It! Alot..

Ill start with the fact that its all natual and completely green. Not just the color either... It is neon green tho. ;)

The thing I like the most about it is its a very economical lube to use. It doesnt take much at all to do a whole gun because it spreads quite well.

It is effective at breaking down carbon fouling too. One of the firearms I used it on was Becks filthly little marlin 60. Which had about 500 rounds thru it since its last breakdown. I just used a couple dabs of frog here and there and a nylon brush. Within 5 minutes I had everything wiped off and spotless. And not really any need to put another dab on the parts for reassembly because the film leftover after wipedown is quite slick.

Another real bonus in my mind is the smell. Its almost a minty smell (like a not so stout ben gay smell) which is a welcome relief from strong smelling solvents and lubes normally associated with firearms cleaning and maintenance.

As far as a bore cleaner goes it does all but dissolve copper. Powder residue and carbon buildup are removed easily under frog lube. and again no need to lube the bore afterwards because its already lubed.

Ill be ongoing with this review here. I have only had it for 2 days but so far it looks like a good stand alone cleaner/lubricant for general firearms maintenance. Coupled with a good copper solvent and some SBGO and in my mind youd have an ultimate firearms care package.

Sam.. Where can I buy some more? After I do all my guns this bottle will be all but exhausted.. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#53 ·
The link above will take you to the shop site; and you can order online there.

Give us a report when you get it. ;)

From what I've seen this should help a lot curing the Arkansas humidity problem.

#55 ·
Shooter45 sent me a bottle of some of this newfangled Frog Lube to test out and see what I thought.

Well in a couple words.. I Like It! Alot..

Ill start with the fact that its all natual and completely green. Not just the color either... It is neon green tho. ;)

The thing I like the most about it is its a very economical lube to use. It doesnt take much at all to do a whole gun because it spreads quite well.

It is effective at breaking down carbon fouling too. One of the firearms I used it on was Becks filthly little marlin 60. Which had about 500 rounds thru it since its last breakdown. I just used a couple dabs of frog here and there and a nylon brush. Within 5 minutes I had everything wiped off and spotless. And not really any need to put another dab on the parts for reassembly because the film leftover after wipedown is quite slick.

Another real bonus in my mind is the smell. Its almost a minty smell (like a not so stout ben gay smell) which is a welcome relief from strong smelling solvents and lubes normally associated with firearms cleaning and maintenance.

As far as a bore cleaner goes it does all but dissolve copper. Powder residue and carbon buildup are removed easily under frog lube. and again no need to lube the bore afterwards because its already lubed.

Ill be ongoing with this review here. I have only had it for 2 days but so far it looks like a good stand alone cleaner/lubricant for general firearms maintenance. Coupled with a good copper solvent and some SBGO and in my mind youd have an ultimate firearms care package.

Sam.. Where can I buy some more? After I do all my guns this bottle will be all but exhausted.. :)
Great stuff, works for everything that I have used it on.

#58 ·
Another FrogLube user here. One thing some people do is to not apply it properly the first time. You're supposed to warm up the metal before applying. I have the paste form. Brush it on the warmed metal and let it sit for about an hour. It acts almost like you're seasoning a cast iron skillet.

After the hour is up, get a microfiber towel and wipe everything off. The metal will feel slick but not greasy. One thing is DO NOT use any other oils will FrogLube. FrogLube actually dissolves petroleum products. I've used it on our pistols and our rifles. It's great being able to clean up after shooting with a couple dry patches and a microfiber towel.

L8R,
Matt

#60 ·
I use froglube on my sons ar-15 and it is great. Paying the high prices for the froglube solvent/degreasers gets old. Hoppes 9 solvent and others leave a residue that should be avoided. Has anyone found 70% rubbing alcohol effective? Just thought about the alcohol after the hopes...hmmmm.... Any thoughts?

#61 ·
I'm not 100% sure what you are asking about. What I am getting is that after using froglube, you have to use a solvent to get it off, it that correct?

If you have to get it off, why even use the stuff? Get yourself some Silver Bullet Gun Oil and just leave it on!!

#66 ·
On an AR-15 that delevlps heat to make it work. It is great. But on an AR-10 I wouldn't. Not much of a gage comparison.

To remove frog lube: After a shooting while the bolt assy is still warm (not hot), tear it apart and submerge it in Hoppes #9 for a couple days. Wipe it all off. Clean w/ 70% rubbing alcohol. Wipe it off good. Hit it with heat gun to see if leaching occurs, and repeat until no further leaching.

#67 ·
I am very happy with Frog Lube and use it for all my firearms. I also use it in the shop on all my steel tools. My hand sweat will rust stainless so I tried Frog Lube on my table saw top and was amazed at the protection. No rust! Check out Frog Lube on YouTube, lots of good info there on use and testing.

#69 ·
OK I'm new to both SBGO & Frog Lube.
What are the pro's & con's of each, every product has pro's and con's.
I went to the SBGO site and all it seemed to discuss was the % pig fat.
Sorry that doesn't mean anything to me.
As for smell, I can't imagine anything as strong as Hoppe's #9. (However, I heard that there is a cologne that mimics it)

I am looking for the best cleaner & best lubricant.
Yes, cost is a consideration, but you have to also consider what it is protecting and how much it would cost to repair/replace or even if could be replaced.
I shoot everything from .22 to 50 cal, black powder to full auto.
I don't mind using different lubricants for different types of firearms, so if there is something better for bolt action sniper rifles, full autos or pistols - I'm open to consider several options.

Right now I mainly use Hoppe's #9 for cleaning and ultrasonic for cleaners and CLP for lube and/or Hornady One Shot Dry Lube. The exception is for Garands and Thompsons and I use white lithium grease on the contact surfaces.

From what I read, I don't think Frog Lube should be used around brass, so I wouldn't use it around some black powder pistols and rifles, but what about synthetic/plastics like on AR's.
I would like to know if SBGO is just pig fat hype or if it really does work.
Personal experience is good and I think it is worthwhile, but some people consider a 20 rd box a lot of ammo and others consider 500+ rds a good days shooting.
The true test of a lubricant is not what it does after 1 or 2 rds, but what is it doing to provide lubrication after 50 rds, 100 rds or 500 rds.

Anybody know of any technical info about either Frog Lube or SBGO.
How long it lasts, # of cycles and what temp it can stand.

Thanks in advance.

#71 ·
Frog Lube ... snort, snort, snicker, snicker. It's just a food-grade solid lube you can buy elsewhere cheaper to use on your sausage grinder & food processing equipment. That's what the detractors & naysayers say. I've used the stuff since it was first handed out as gunshow samples over 5 or 6 years ago. I use it on all my firearms, especially blackpowder rifles & cap & ball revolvers.

I also tried it on my front door lock & an outdoor gate padlock where I was having lubrication issues that the regular lock graphite wouldn't fix. Other Hi-Tech wunder-lubes such as Militec would gum up after a few months of being subjected to daily summer heat, but Militec allows smooth lock functioning over time - I reapply about every year, or whenever I remember. It also makes my chintzy Post Office mailbox lock work smooth & troublefree. It's weather and heat resistant & doesn't accumulate dirt or grit.

Remove it? use a rag with a little Hoppes or GI bore cleaner, then reapply. The stuff doesn't go bad & there's no need to spend a lot of time & worry over it. I apply with a rag, then heat with a hairdryer. It forms a protective application that resists fingerprints on all blued metal. It performs better than the myriad of other hi-tech 'superlubes' I've used, and stays put better after a lot of handling.

#75 ·
Welcome to the forum, AZhooter. You'll find we are a pretty easy going bunch of guys here. Yes, we have discussions about all kinds of things. One perennial is 1911 vs Glock. We keep the discussions and opinions friendly. We've figured out here that friendship is more valuable than proving I'm right and you're wrong. You'll see that as you hang around and learn how we work.

I've tried frog lube and really like it. I've also tried another brand and found it works wonders. We can tell our experience, and if someone wants, they can try it out too.

Reactions: dbcooper
#83 ·
Goofy. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic oil on my firearms for some time with excellent results and no shellacking that you mention, it is all in what one prefers. We get a bit chilly here in Eastern Wa State and I shoot in deep snow at times but the ole AR's keep on ticking. While in Korea I kept my Carbine and .45 free of any lube as it really got chilly there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.