Frog Lube

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by JLA, Jan 13, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Rem Oil is good stuff.
  2. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

I got my 4oz frog Lube kit today, and gave my Hi-point carbine a good treatment. I like how after apllying it to the parts it is dry to the touch after cooling, yet still nice and slick. Also amazed at how much more dirt I got out of the barrel that I had cleaned after the last time I shot it, and got clean patches from it. The frog lube seems to be a good product compared to Hoppes that I've been using since I started shooting. The only thing I do not like about the kit is the brush, the bristles comeout way too easy.
  3. philwarner

philwarner New Member

froglube instructions?

I am ready to clean and lube my Savage 1915 with a FrogLube kit I bought that includes solvent, liquid CLP, and paste CLP, and I am still a bit confused about the process and what to use where.

Searching the archives I find the stickey that says:

"...we recommend reuse after every use; liquid in the internals and paste on the externals....the difference between the paste and the liquid...an additive called PAO , Poly-alpha Olefin. Hi grade biodegradeable cutting oil.... It prevents solidifying---keeps it in a liquid state...So you can get FrogLube in places you can't reach with the paste."

So...

First question - is heat recommended using for the solvent? Or is heating recommended only for applying the CLP so it soaks in better?

Second question - is the liquid for internals and paste for the externals the definitive recommendation? Am I correct to assume the Poly-alpha Olefin is in the liquid and not the paste? If so, is there any advantage to the paste over the liquid?

Third question - is there an upper limit to the heat to be used? Hair dryer or heat gun? Or a Temperature not to exceed when applying the CLP?

Fourth question- heat first and then apply? Or can paste be applied on the externals and then heated?

My inquiring mind needs to know.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Your questions should be answered in the info above.
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Ballistol is a good product if you want a quick all in one cleaner and lube in a can. Good item to have in your range or bug out bag, but for a really thorough lube and rust preventative after cleaning, SBGO is hard to beat, though I haven't tried Frog lube yet.
  6. philwarner

philwarner New Member

Thanks, I had read this thread before I posted but still had some questions. So...

Is heat recommended when using the solvent?

Is there a temperature not to exceed when applying the CLP?

Can paste be applied and then heated or is it best to heat first?

Is there an advantage to the paste over the liquid?
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The heat is a method of application derrived from our own use of the product. Heat is good, use it. A hairdryer on high will suffice.
  8. Tdubb

Tdubb Member

Hello everyone I am new to this forum. i have been using Froglube for about a year and love it. I have never tried the heat method but will now, I can tell you that I carried my muzzleloader a lot this year for deer hunting, and being out in the cold then in a warm house several times it would draw moisture as soon as i stepped in the house, and no rust at all.
  9. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welome to the forum Tdubb;
    you have found the friendliest shooting forum around. It's a great place to hang out and share ideas and thoughts. We like good discussions and to help each other out. Pull up a chair and keyboard and enjoy.
  10. jprtn

jprtn New Member

Is it possible to get a sample of this frog lube? I have never heard of it before
  11. BlackEagle

12. jprtn

jprtn New Member

I shoot a Taurus pt 92 on a regular basis but own a whole multitude of guns that require constant attention especially during the summer Arkansas has humidity Like no other I am going to find some of this and try it
  13. BlackEagle

The link above will take you to the shop site; and you can order online there.

Give us a report when you get it. ;)

From what I've seen this should help a lot curing the Arkansas humidity problem.
  14. zant

zant Member

NOT impressed in the least-LUCAS gun lube is far superior....but possibly I'm not using it correctly.
  15. BrettaGuy1099

BrettaGuy1099 New Member

Great stuff, works for everything that I have used it on.