Frog Lube

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by JLA, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I been back home a little bit now. I stored the guns I did earlier in leather holsters in NC humidity for just under 6 months. No rust at all. Even did the CZ82 before I left. Real smooth and no rust at all.
  2. coachwill

coachwill Forum Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback gents. If you want to place orders please let me know so I can get you taken care of. I have been away from the boards for a while due to work and lots of other family issues but now those are cleared up.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Ive been using frog lube for a while and I like it too but I'm using it in a non firearm related way. Sealed wheel bearings. I heat the lube up slightly to liquify it, drop the bearings in and agitate them till all the bubbles stop and let it sit and thicken. It works fantastic, makes them run nice and smooth. I though that after the bearing heated up the lube may leak out but I don't think the bearing ever get that hot anymore since the friction is so low now.
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Latest test. Fired a bunch of corrosive 7.62x38R from the 1895 Nagant. Did not clean it, but only covered the bore, chambers and gun in frog lube and never heated it up. Stored in a leather holster and one month later there is no rust.

Today I removed all the carbon from the XD9 barrel, hit it with brake cleaner and put a patch of frog lube down the barrel and still got some black out.

This stuff is a great product.
  5. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

BINGO. Me2...............:D
  6. .45 acp nut

.45 acp nut New Member

I have used FrogLube on my 1911 that I shoot in Single Stack Division(USPSA) for about 6 months. I have noticed that I can shoot more rounds between cleanings and when I clean the gunk is easier to remove. Also, the action 'feels' slicker.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  7. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Well-Known Member

so are you still using both? What are your thoughts on froglube today??:confused:
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have been just using it on my BP revolver. I like it. it works great.. But I like SBGO better for metal to metal moving parts.
  9. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Well-Known Member

Whats your thought on ballistol??? Have you ever used it??
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

no. Only other lubes i use besides SBGO and frog are Sea foam deep creep and occasionally rem oil.
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Rem Oil is good stuff.
  12. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

I got my 4oz frog Lube kit today, and gave my Hi-point carbine a good treatment. I like how after apllying it to the parts it is dry to the touch after cooling, yet still nice and slick. Also amazed at how much more dirt I got out of the barrel that I had cleaned after the last time I shot it, and got clean patches from it. The frog lube seems to be a good product compared to Hoppes that I've been using since I started shooting. The only thing I do not like about the kit is the brush, the bristles comeout way too easy.
  13. philwarner

philwarner New Member

froglube instructions?

I am ready to clean and lube my Savage 1915 with a FrogLube kit I bought that includes solvent, liquid CLP, and paste CLP, and I am still a bit confused about the process and what to use where.

Searching the archives I find the stickey that says:

"...we recommend reuse after every use; liquid in the internals and paste on the externals....the difference between the paste and the liquid...an additive called PAO , Poly-alpha Olefin. Hi grade biodegradeable cutting oil.... It prevents solidifying---keeps it in a liquid state...So you can get FrogLube in places you can't reach with the paste."

So...

First question - is heat recommended using for the solvent? Or is heating recommended only for applying the CLP so it soaks in better?

Second question - is the liquid for internals and paste for the externals the definitive recommendation? Am I correct to assume the Poly-alpha Olefin is in the liquid and not the paste? If so, is there any advantage to the paste over the liquid?

Third question - is there an upper limit to the heat to be used? Hair dryer or heat gun? Or a Temperature not to exceed when applying the CLP?

Fourth question- heat first and then apply? Or can paste be applied on the externals and then heated?

My inquiring mind needs to know.
  14. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Your questions should be answered in the info above.
  15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Ballistol is a good product if you want a quick all in one cleaner and lube in a can. Good item to have in your range or bug out bag, but for a really thorough lube and rust preventative after cleaning, SBGO is hard to beat, though I haven't tried Frog lube yet.