From a SR-71 Pilot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Tacks, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

Flying out of Beale AFB in California , Kadena Airbase in Okinawa , and RAF Mildenhall in England . On a typical training mission, we would take off near Sacramento, refuel over Nevada, accelerate into Montana, obtain a high Mach speed over Colorado , turn right over New Mexico, speed across the Los Angeles Basin, run up the West Coast, turn right at Seattle , then return to Beale. Total flight time:- Two Hours and Forty Minutes.
    One day, high above Arizona , we were monitoring the radio traffic, of all the mortal airplanes below us. First, a Cessna pilot asked the air traffic controllers to check his ground speed. 'Ninety knots,' ATC replied. A Bonanza soon made the same request. 'One-twenty on the ground,' was the reply. To our surprise, a navy F-18 came over the radio, with a ground speed check. I knew exactly what he was doing.

Of course, he had a ground speed indicator in his cockpit, but he wanted to let all the bug-smashers in the valley, know what real speed was, 'Dusty 52, we show you at 620 on the ground,' ATC responded. The situation was too ripe. I heard the click of Walt's mike button in the rear seat. In his most innocent voice, Walt startled the controller by asking for a ground speed check from 81,000 feet, clearly above controlled airspace. In a cool, professional voice, the controller replied, 'Aspen 20, I show you at 1,982 knots on the ground.' We did not hear another transmission on that frequency, all the way to the coast.
  2. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Flying a Cessna-172 from Las Vegas to the L.A basin into Pamona-Brackett or John Wayne Orange County on the air-route Victor 8 North we used to contact L.A.Center somewhere around Barstow Ca.I would go into a slow dive and ask them to check my ground speed.They would come back with a high speed and we use to laugh.I know kinda stupid but it brought back a memory.Also while flying in a commercial flight above flight level 30 you can see the curve of the Earth and darkness above.I always thought it was really cool looking view.I bet you can get a nice view the stars way up there right?
  3. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Brass Tacks, I read that during the 1990s, the SR-71 was modified to incorporate a "near real time" data link.....(?)
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

That would be about 2260 MPH, for those that might want to know..... :)
  5. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

The Blackbird was always my favorite. I saw a documentary once that talked about them outrunning missles on some of their missions........now that's speed.
  6. Ed~

Ed~ New Member

What a great story!

Reminds me of my feelings as a kid, building models, wanting to fly and push the boundaries!
  7. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

now thats a cool story!
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I remember seeing you guys streak through the sky from my home town. I also remember seeing plenty of U2's lumbering along at what 25 mph Doing what they do best look and be quiet.
  9. medalguy

medalguy Member

I was at Ellington AFB for a while and used to see the NASA U-2 all the time. I really, REALLY wanted to get a hop in one of those but of course.....

Most people today have little idea of the inventive genius that went into development of the A-12 and the SR-71 by Kelly Johnson and his crew. They should be regarded as a national treasure.

Thanks to you, Brass Tacks, and your buddies for your invaluable service to this nation. :patriotic: