From The Other Side

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

LarryJK
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (7/8/01 3:48:59 pm)
    | Del All From The Other Side
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can't recall if this has been posted before but, if it has...here's another one.

www.thewall-usa.com/liter...munes.html

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (7/9/01 7:15:00 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: From The Other Side
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry:
    For whatever reason I don't keep any memorabilia around my house, particularly of Vietnam. Two Father's Days ago, my youngest son presented me with a framed picture of the "other side" done by Patrick Camunes. It is hung on a wall and I have to say that every time I look at it I get a pretty eerie feeling......it's a pretty deep picture with a whole lot of meaning.

nighthawk
    (7/9/01 7:31:46 pm)
    | Del Re: From The Other Side
    Very deeply moving, Larry,,thank you for posting it,,there is so much out there on the web, I wonder how many sites like that I am missing.
    I have not yet visited the Wall,,its a long way from Washington, but I did get the chance to visit the mobile wall, and, while not quite the same, it was a very emotional time. I mentioned before as to the reactions of the visitors, and how it was so obvious who the vets were.
    Thanks again for this,,,

mt pari
    (7/10/01 1:09:33 am)
    Thanks for posting the site..it is in my favorites and will stay there..

JD,

That's the poster I told you about..."From the Other Side" is a available to you? It is so emotional...so true..and real..

Pari

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/01 4:27:01 pm)
    Beautiful, LarryJK! There is that feeling when you touch the Wall that it's not just a big, black memorial, but has a spirit that's alive.

Sharon

homer4
    (7/16/01 2:06:32 pm)
    My brothers Earl (the Nam 68-69) and Chris (Thailand 70-71) and I (the Nam 70-71) all went to the Wall some 5 6 maybe 7-8yrs ago, I forget...Butts was in from California again and Chris planned for us to go... just us.

As God is my witness!...we cried.

I'm crying right this minute...Butts is in town and left about 2hrs ago and leaves tomorrow...I remember how we were...the three of us always on the move with my mother and sister Bea. Poor and always the new kids.

Haven't been back...only Chris with Kathy's cousin.

The paintin "From the Other Side" makes me cry...everytime nearly...As God is myy witness guy's...bawlin like a baby cam't stop fuck war guys fuck all of wars

...and two hard boiled eggs.

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/16/01 3:17:08 pm)
    I am with you Homer.....

many many years of repressed thoughts, memories, fears, joy, anger, no one to talk too that understood (except a few reserve guys) and so on... the list is long....

I STILL cannot look at that picture nor the words without being very overwelmed with it all....

I came home.....and I am always doomed to remember the name of that one person that had my name that did not....

The site provokes emotions from the black stone......

out....

dap22
    (7/16/01 7:10:22 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Likewise Homer, I'm with ya on this one. War sucks and in one way or another, we're all casualties.......some worse than others! I have yet to go to the wall.....have had the chance and have chosen not to.......yet. I don't know what to expect once I get there.

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/17/01 12:52:54 am)
    {{{{{{{{{{{{{HOMER}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

homer4
    (7/17/01 5:29:47 pm)
    Uh..not sure if I'm to respond Sharon...Sorry...not the sharpest knife thing with me. If I wasn't just ignore this.
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/17/01 7:14:51 pm)
    It was a HUG, Homer.....no need to respond. Sometimes the words won't come, and so ya get a HUG.

Sharon

LarryJK
    (7/18/01 7:02:02 am)
    Hey Homer....I have been a hugging-kind-of-guy all my life!! I got one for ya!!

dap22
    (7/18/01 8:29:03 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Me too Homer................a BEAR hug!
    Dave

donbrails
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/18/01 5:18:43 pm)
    | Del wall
    Just some random thoughts.
    When I first saw Frank in Williamsburg and also when I left we gave each other a big hug and I also have one for you Homer. This is a very emotional poem and picture. The day before Frank and I were going to go to the Wall I said no. I am not ready to go there and I may never be ready to go there but that is all right.
    Thanks,
    Don

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/18/01 9:31:03 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: wall
    ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HOMER!))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

[​IMG]

dap22
    (7/19/01 7:56:03 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    All I know is that there are a whole lot of names on that wall and a whole lot of shattered people whose names aren't on the wall. I really get pissed when I think about how and why Vietnam got going and how and why it was kept going for so long. It's about incompetent politicians and big business making money off the war economy (particularly the late 60's)............. Should have listened to my wife who told me years ago to "get over it". Can't seem to.

Genog
    (7/20/01 10:19:21 am)
    | Del Re: wall
    Both of my trips to the wall have been very emotional and also a helpful healing process.

Sharon is right. The wall is like a spirit with life. You can feel it when you touch it.
    Geno G

LarryJK
    (7/20/01 4:27:10 pm)
    Dave...I don't think I ever want to "get over it". To many good memories along with the bad. I thrive on the memories.

dap22
    (7/20/01 7:56:58 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    I hear you on that Larry. Had the reunion down in Alabama a couple weeks ago with a bunch of the guys from the 45th Med Co......it was fantastic to see those faces after 33 years. Many laughs, many brews and surprisingly very few tears.......it was great to hear some of the funny stories that brought back such great memories! We'll do it again maybe next year.......can't wait.

LarryJK
    (7/21/01 2:34:16 am)
    Dave...haven't been to a reunion yet. But, one question. Did you have any negative feelings during the reunion? Did you feel out of place...so to speak? I have thought about going to a reunion and these are two "feelings" that sort of come to me...not sure what they mean though.

dap22
    (7/21/01 8:08:19 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    I don't think you'd at all feel out of place. The most hilarious thing about it is that you look at yourself in the mirror and see how you've aged but can only picture your buddies of 33 or so years ago the way they were then...... It's funny to see how some have aged well and some not so well.

Larry, I think the answer to your question is that we've all gone about our lives after Vietnam. What's most interesting about meeting friends and fellow soldiers 33 or so years later is that we have a tremendous bond that few would understand but at the same time we each have our own demons that have possessed us these many years later. I don't think that many Vietnam veterans have escaped those demons, no matter how good or bad their lives have been after Vietnam.

LarryJK
    (7/21/01 9:41:37 am)
    Dave...that is so true about escaping the demons. I don't think a person can escape them but maybe learn to live with them...I don't know.

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/22/01 4:49:44 pm)
    Dave,

Did you tell us much about your reunion? I, for one, would love to hear about it.
    I hope you had a great time with the guys you served with back then.

Sharon

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/22/01 5:22:29 pm)
    Genog,

I hope you had a chance to visit the Wall late at night. That's the time I liked being there
    the best. A whole different feeling when there's hardly anyone there....hard to explain.

Sharon