Front Sight tactical training?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by wushuguy, Oct 31, 2008.

1. wushuguy

wushuguy New Member

Hello everyone. First time poster here.

I just purchased my first firearm (XD45) a couple of weeks ago. I would love to become technically proficient with this gun, as well as others. I was checking out the Front Sight tactical training site (www.frontsight.com), and thought it might be a good way to get high level instruction. It isn't terribly far from where I live either, so that's a plus.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience, or even knows about this school? Are these classes worth taking?

Thanks for any help.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Like you, I too have only read about this training. Personally, I would love to able to attend said course. If you have the opertunity to take this training, I would say go for it. I would, if I could.
  3. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I give this advice without knowing alot about your skill level with firearms. If you are new to handling firearms, you might take a safety course first and if you can a course that goes over the basics such as firearm safety , drawing the pistol, clearing malfunctions, and moving from position to position with the pistol safely.

I'm not saying they wont go over those with you there, but my impression of alot of those courses is that they normally expect you to have a pretty solid grasp on these things to get the full advantage of the more advanced stuff they are probably gonna go over. Its probably worth your while to do it, especially with the cash you are gonna shell out for one of these courses.

The way i learned these principals was getting involved in IDPA. Find a local club and get involved, there will be guys there who will be more than happy to give you pointers and they may even host basic classes on the cheap. Plus IDPA is a helluva lot of fun.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Find a local club and get involved, there will be guys there who will be more than happy to give you pointers and they may even host basic classes on the cheap. Plus IDPA is a helluva lot of fun.

How do we go about finding a club in our area? I live in E. TX, not far from the TX, LA line.
  5. TDR911

TDR911 New Member

I agree with Carver. Find someone local, Get all the basics down before you go to one of the higher end classes. Get completely familiar with the handling, reloading, & safety rules. This will enhance your experience when you go to the class. You will be 1 up on the basics and enjoy and retain more information. Some people go back a second or third time before advancing to higher level classes. Most students will go back as a refresher every year or 2.
    Most important: This is the first thing that will be drilled in to your brain.

The Four Rules of Firearms Handling
    by Jeff Cooper

Rule 1
    ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    The only exception to this occurs when you have a firearm in your hands and you have personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as you put it down, Rule 1 applies again.

Rule 2
    NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY
    You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.

Rule 3
    KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
    This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.

Rule 4
    BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
    You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.
  6. wushuguy

wushuguy New Member

I will be receiving some pre training before attending a class of course. I have been reading as much as I can on firearms and firearm use for a while now, and have a training session set up, as well as taking my CCW class in a few weeks. I will make sure I have the basics down before taking the class. I do plan on finding clubs to shoot with, and continue to learn from them. I'm sure that will be enough for learning basic gun operation and defense. I'm looking to learn as much as I can about firearm tactics though.

My question was geared more towards the level and methods of training at this facility. Would you consider it to be world class?

I was offered an amazing deal on a lifetime membership for all of the classes, and am just trying to figure out if it will be worth it.

Thanks for the replies so far. Any other opinions are most welcome.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  7. Starlord174

Starlord174 New Member

I have studied everything on Front Sight I can get my hands on. If I were not on a severely fixed income, I would love to attend Front Sight and become a First Family member. I am going to become a member of the group that promotes the school by distributing DVDs about the school and the offer of approximately $4,000 worth of Front Sight training and an XD in your choice of calibre for $1,199.
  8. TDR911

TDR911 New Member

Hey Starlord174 there are a lot of realy good training classes all over the country. What state are you in ?? I can give you some to check out. I am slowly compiling a list in every state and will eventualy post it.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008